Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Waypoint selection in flight

Author
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
A good idea, or an option to "Skip to" as said in your last line .

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
flyingalan
flyingalan
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)
Sorry for delay in response, have been away.

Tim your idea sounds workable and would be a good step in the right direction.

The only concern I have is having to mess with menus whilst in flight. These small screens and small menus can be difficult to hit accurately with finger in a moving aircraft. That's why I favored a simple +/- step button somewhere on screen.

However I accept that your solution will be an improvement on present situation and is probably easier to implement than my ideal solution.

thanks for interest, and best regards
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
I too like the "skip to" idea - I think this is almost identical to the original idea of the "+" button. I think the "-" button was an enhancement to allow you to "skip back" as well.

Cheers,

Mike.
stuartforrest
stuartforrest
Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)
I think it would be brilliant to click and hold on a way point in your plan on the map and get offered "skip to". I think that addresses the initial point and is a great improvement in any case.

Beech Bonanza A36 Based at Blackpool

G-FOZZ www.gotoair.com
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
It has my vote
SteveD
S
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Did anything ever come of this?

I have read the manual and cannot find anything from searching they keywords "next waypoint" that indicates the feature has been implemented...

I used SkyDemon in flight for the first time yesterday and wanted to be able to manually change the current steerpoint, but couldn't do it. 

The obvious use case for manual waypoint selection that no one seems to have discussed is when you don't actually want to directly overfy the waypoint, and you therefore don't trigger the automatic selection of the next waypoint.

In my case, I was using SD in a gliding competition and only needed to get within 5.5km of the waypoint. I ended up having to delete the current waypoint in order to force it to select the next waypoint - not ideal! 

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
You can also bring up the PilotLog and select any waypoint to go direct to.

I share Tim's opinion: too many options, buttons and shortcuts just confuse the user interface for the majority of users. There'll always be ways to do one thing more efficiently at the expense of cluttering the interface and confusing other users. Tim has to maintain an overall balance. A job, by the way, which I think he does admirably.

-- Chris.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
It's usually better no to dig up a thread which is 7 years old.

Steve, you do not need to select the next waypoint along. This makes me think of GPS devices of yesteryear. If you just fly towards it, as soon as you've passed the waypoint before, SkyDemon will realise what you're doing and make the move forward.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search