Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

GPS source change during flight

Author
C401
Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've been using SD with a SkyEcho with good results, however recently on a flight a firmware glitch caused my SkyEcho to drop the wifi network, which obviously then caused Skydemon to lose GPS position. I use an iPad with internal GPS, and I wondered is it possible to switch to this in flight, as the only way I could find to force it was to stop navigation and restart with the internal GPS.

If it's not already possible, I suppose a suggestion would be 1) could  it be made possible, and 2) would it be possible (and desirable?) to have some sort of automatic switch if connection to the 3rd party device was lost?

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
C401 - 3/20/2021 2:47:55 PM
I've been using SD with a SkyEcho with good results, however recently on a flight a firmware glitch caused my SkyEcho to drop the wifi network, which obviously then caused Skydemon to lose GPS position. I use an iPad with internal GPS, and I wondered is it possible to switch to this in flight, as the only way I could find to force it was to stop navigation and restart with the internal GPS.

If it's not already possible, I suppose a suggestion would be 1) could  it be made possible, and 2) would it be possible (and desirable?) to have some sort of automatic switch if connection to the 3rd party device was lost?

When searching this forum you'll see that this has been discussed several times before and there was no action to change it. Yes, I am with you and an automatic fallback from third party GPS to the internal GPS (as the competition does) would be nice - but I also see the point that doing so would loose things like traffic, so maybe a warning banner when this happens is advised.

Edited 3/21/2021 8:29:02 AM by pilot-byom
C401
C401
Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)Too Much Forum (643 reputation)
Quite right, I did search before posting and saw a large thread, but it was a couple of years old and had somewhat steered towards a different issue. I actually thought this would most likely already be a feature that I was missing the know-how to make use of.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It's one of those things that is clearly possible, but not often asked for, and non-trivial to present to the user. Do we just fall back automatically? We could, but obviously we would also have to warn the user with some UI that did not go away until acknowledged. And what then? Presumably a user interface for switching back to your third-party GPS source once you have recovered it would also be desired.
C401
C401
Design is not my area, so I'm sure there are better/neater ways to implement than what I would have in my head. 

I suppose I imagine a banner similar to (or incorporated into) the one which tells me that the third party device is offline/no longer available and that there had been reversion to internal GPS. If the 3rd party device is detected again then perhaps a banner to say it's available, would you like to switch back? If yes then switch, if no then don't switch and no further prompts. This way if it was an intermittent thing, the user could try it once or twice but if it became annoying/distracting because it wasn't working right, then a 'no' answer would silence further warnings.

Some way of selecting it manually whilst in flight would also be good, perhaps just on the main menu either within or below 'setup', a 'Position source' or similar with an option of choosing available devices.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
You're right, either of those ways would work. There would be a higher development cost for the first, I suspect, but obviously some kind of cost attached to either.

We have to be sure this is a real problem for a decent percentage of users to make it worth spending the resources on implementing either.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
I would like to add my support for such a suggestion.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

matthew_w100
matthew_w100
Too Much Forum (62 reputation)Too Much Forum (62 reputation)Too Much Forum (62 reputation)Too Much Forum (62 reputation)Too Much Forum (62 reputation)Too Much Forum (62 reputation)Too Much Forum (62 reputation)Too Much Forum (62 reputation)Too Much Forum (62 reputation)
I'd like it.  I often struggle with the connection to my Pilot Aware device and would like to be able to revert to the internal GPS without breaking the flight.
C401
C401
I would see it almost as an expected feature. I must admit that I assumed I had missed something in set-up to allow this to work, and was a bit surprised to find out that it is not currently possible. It would generally speaking mimic what must be commonplace system behaviour, that if you have two inputs available and one fails, the second is automatically switched to.

Obviously the commercial decision is one for you and the team to make, but I think it would be very useful to have, and also may pre-empt future problems when more and more people start using a (potentially) wider variety of devices, there are more likely to be problems. Naturally it is up to whatever 3rd party manufacturer to fix the problems, but SD would at least mitigate the effects.

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
+1
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search