SkyDemon Forums

GPS source change during flight

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic33060.aspx

By C401 - 3/20/2021 2:47:55 PM

I've been using SD with a SkyEcho with good results, however recently on a flight a firmware glitch caused my SkyEcho to drop the wifi network, which obviously then caused Skydemon to lose GPS position. I use an iPad with internal GPS, and I wondered is it possible to switch to this in flight, as the only way I could find to force it was to stop navigation and restart with the internal GPS.

If it's not already possible, I suppose a suggestion would be 1) could  it be made possible, and 2) would it be possible (and desirable?) to have some sort of automatic switch if connection to the 3rd party device was lost?

By BigJ - 4/14/2022 1:31:37 PM

Thanks Tim, for taking the time to post in this thread. I understand your position; but given that I remain under obligation to use mark I eyeball to avoid other aircraft when VFR, I am  likely to discontinue using PilotAware with SkyDemon. SkyDemon is vital navigation/ infringement avoidance software for the whole UK GA community, and I would rather maintain its continuity than see a couple of extra bits of traffic on my screen. Put simply, if I have to choose I'd rather use a GPS source in an instrument (iPad) with an installed base of 10s of millions, and a demonstrable reliability in service, than a power-hungry niche Raspberry pi setup that does a reasonable job. I still think it's a reasonable suggestion that users can choose their GPS source and traffic source independently.