Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

GPS source change during flight

Author
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Wouldn't you have to disable traffic warnings as well as the backup GPS source altitude won't be referenced to 1013?
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
tnowak - 3/23/2021 8:05:32 PM
Wouldn't you have to disable traffic warnings as well as the backup GPS source altitude won't be referenced to 1013?

If you are disconnected from the source of both position and traffic data you won't get any traffic warnings anyway. 

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
grahamb - 3/24/2021 7:46:04 AM

If you are disconnected from the source of both position and traffic data you won't get any traffic warnings anyway. 

Sure, but you can always stop and restart with the internal GPS only. Advantage, your log files are clean and the configuration well defined. If you switch sources there must be some documentation in the log as well. I am not convinced such autoGPS is really something I want.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
pilot-byom - 3/24/2021 9:23:12 AM
grahamb - 3/24/2021 7:46:04 AM

Sure, but you can always stop and restart with the internal GPS only. Advantage, your log files are clean and the configuration well defined. If you switch sources there must be some documentation in the log as well. I am not convinced such autoGPS is really something I want.

True (and I actually agree with you about not being yet convinced about autoGPS as you put it), but I was specifically answering tnowak’s apparent misconception.

BigJ
B
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
I would strongly support the ability to simply  select traffic information and GPS sources separately. I just flew my first flight using PilotAware as the traffic/GPS source, and although I saw my first traffic (nice) I had 6 GPS dropouts in a 40 minute flight. By contrast, using my ipad as the GPS source, I had had just 2 dropouts in 150+ hours flying.
So I would simply like my iPad to contribute GPS, and my PilotAware to feed traffic.

Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)
BigJ - 4/11/2022 3:58:16 PM
I would strongly support the ability to simply  select traffic information and GPS sources separately. I just flew my first flight using PilotAware as the traffic/GPS source, and although I saw my first traffic (nice) I had 6 GPS dropouts in a 40 minute flight. By contrast, using my ipad as the GPS source, I had had just 2 dropouts in 150+ hours flying.
So I would simply like my iPad to contribute GPS, and my PilotAware to feed traffic.

+1

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Sounds simple doesn't it? The problem is, PilotAware describes other traffic in terms of its position relative to your own position. Therefore it's critical that "your own position" is the same one that PilotAware is using, rather than trying to mix with the GPS output of your tablet.

If you're seeing GPS dropouts from PilotAware, talk to them about the best way to get a GPS antenna mounted.

Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)Too Much Forum (300 reputation)
+1 in favour of an automatic fall-back to internal gps, if external source fails.

YouTube channel
Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
+1
just last weekend the power-bank has disconnected from my Stratux. Suddenly no own-ship on SkyDemon, however, the internal GPS was just working fine. Indeed some GUI would be nice to notify about the fallback (so I know that, no traffic information to be expected)

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Adam, you know we already implemented manual fallback, right?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search