Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Ground speed reporting

Author
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
emporer - 11/14/2019 11:55:16 PM
Since we touched the topic of ambiguity there is another suggestion:
The white line extending from the airplane has 3 tic-marks. 
Sometimes I can't recall if I defined it as time or distance line.

So I propose the following :
Add the symbol d=distance or t=time at the white line with a circle around it,
depending on the configuration in setup.
When Tapping the circle the tic-mark revert to either time or distance markings with proper scaling and t/d-letter.
In flight, sometimes I prefer to quickly change between time and distance and going in the setup menu is cumbersome.
How do the others feel about this?

No thanks. If it is felt really necessary to distinguish between the two settings (and in my experience, most people have a preferred setting and leave it that way, rather than flip between the two) then I’d prefer the ticks to be different - say little triangles for one, and lines for the other. 

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
grahamb - 11/15/2019 12:22:04 AM

When Tapping the circle the tic-mark revert to either time or distance markings with proper scaling and t/d-letter.
In flight, sometimes I prefer to quickly change between time and distance and going in the setup menu is cumbersome.

No thanks. If it is felt really necessary to distinguish between the two settings (and in my experience, most people have a preferred setting and leave it that way, rather than flip between the two) then I’d prefer the ticks to be different - say little triangles for one, and lines for the other. 

This topic has come up before (line depicting distance or time) and I don't think there was any consensus last time.
I must say I tend to forget what my setting is (distance or time) but sorted that by slowing my aircraft down a bit to see if the line length changes (or not)! Perhaps the last "tick" of the line can be changed to a "T" or "D" to indicate time or distance.
Tony

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 11/14/2019 6:36:56 PM
I prototyped the display of units in those two instruments and don't particularly like it. Opinions welcome, but I think it's too busy and am wary about adding it when most people seem to have got along alright without it up until now.

...I think it's too busy and am wary about adding it when most people seem to have got along alright without it up until now.

Tim
You make a valid point. May I suggest that the lettering is smaller and in white to match the numbers, or at least a lighter colour than you propose, so that they stand out.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)

As has already been pointed out, this has been discussed in some detail previously, and since there was no consensus, the suggestion never so the light of day. I have my Aircraft Trajectory Display set to 'time' permanently, but I must admit that there have been occasions when I would like to have had the ability to be able to toggle it between time and distance and back again with one touch. If the suggestion were to be implemented, since the last tick is already effectively a 'T' this configuration should represent 'time' and when toggled to 'distance' the last tick should change, for example, to an arrow head, or circle maybe.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

David N.
D
Too Much Forum (80 reputation)Too Much Forum (80 reputation)Too Much Forum (80 reputation)Too Much Forum (80 reputation)Too Much Forum (80 reputation)Too Much Forum (80 reputation)Too Much Forum (80 reputation)Too Much Forum (80 reputation)Too Much Forum (80 reputation)
Sky Painter - 11/15/2019 1:18:58 PM

As has already been pointed out, this has been discussed in some detail previously, and since there was no consensus, the suggestion never so the light of day. I have my Aircraft Trajectory Display set to 'time' permanently, but I must admit that there have been occasions when I would like to have had the ability to be able to toggle it between time and distance and back again with one touch. If the suggestion were to be implemented, since the last tick is already effectively a 'T' this configuration should represent 'time' and when toggled to 'distance' the last tick should change, for example, to an arrow head, or circle maybe.

This will make sense for me, as for position reporting to ATC prior entering CTR is (normaly) done in NM but advising smaller airfields of approach is done in minutes.

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
+1. Another good proposal!
Eric

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
There has been no consensus arrived on the original topic of this thread. Can we please not introduce another topic for discussion into the same thread? The distance/time line has been discussed before at length.
ArnaudC
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 11/14/2019 6:36:56 PM
I prototyped the display of units in those two instruments and don't particularly like it. Opinions welcome, but I think it's too busy and am wary about adding it when most people seem to have got along alright without it up until now.
I would keep the unit display horizontal and in the same color as the number, but in a smaller font (maybe something like 2/3 or 1/2 of the numbers. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
There isn't room.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search