Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Route Export to GARMIN 660 devices

Author
g
Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Any general eMail they answer?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
If you own a Garmin device, there is probably a customer support number or email, for all support questions.
Marc25
M
Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)Forum Member (38 reputation)
[quote]
gflyer - 2/2/2022 5:29:40 PM
Any general eMail they answer

Hello gflyer, 
You could try to contact Garmin team X, I follow 'vansairforce' forum, and they are involved in tech, integration and development.
I'm also very interested to have integration / or route transfer SD <> AERA

Here it is:
Steve & Brian 
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F

gflyer
g
Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)
May this information helps, I found on the Vans Forum about area 660.

2- Does the 660 "connext" with other Garmin apps like FltPlan Go?

Quick note to confirm I had no trouble exchanging flight plans (in either direction) between FltPlan Go on my iPad and the Aera 660 using the Connext feature. You connect the two devices via Bluetooth ... then within the FltPlan Go app you select Garmin as the External Device. Only flight plans are exchanged between the devices. There was some reference in an earlier post asking where / or if a Stratux receiver fits into the mix (I use one myself). That still requires a separate WiFi connection between the iPad / FltPlan Go and Stratux; ADS-B data does not flow to the Aera even with Connext active between the two. I gather from the Stratux development boards Garmin has recently opened some of their protocols; fingers crossed we may see that in the future.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
FltPlan Go belongs to Garmin.
gflyer
g
I wrote to Steve from Garmin. Will see.
WiltshireMike
W
Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)
gflyer - 2/18/2022 11:18:53 PM
I wrote to Steve from Garmin. Will see.

Did you receive a reply that you are able to share?

I too am very keen to support a (wired?) SD > 660 > GFC500 in-flight link, but which doesn't affect the SE2 wifi traffic link to my Android tablet.

Mike Stueber
Mike Stueber
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
Mike Stueber - 9/23/2019 12:09:18 PM

Hallo Tim,

once more my question:

why it's possible to connect the Garmin 660 with the PC and transfer routes (it workes perfect) and why it's not possible to do the same via bluetooth from an iPad?

Your answer was:"Garmin do not allow us to interface directly with their hardware. It is their decision."                                               

Is it only allowed to you to transfer dates from SkyDemon via cable to a Garmin device?

Mike

Hi Tim, you asked me, if I  have a cable. If I would buy a cable, to connect the GARMIN 660 with my iPad-mini, would it be possible to transfer routes like with a PC? Many thanks for a answer. 

WiltshireMike
W
Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)
Hi Mike,
Sadly it's a little more complex than simply connecting the tablet to the 660. I recently borrowed a friend's 660, manually entered a route then connected it to my PC to see what the internal file structure looks like.  There was no obvious 'route' directory with the route saved as a .fpl file, so I guess the file is stored somewhere else, visible only to the Garmin Pilot app.  The only method which I understand would work, having created the route in SD on a tablet would be to do a BT transfer to Garmin Pilot  and from there to the 660.  But that means paying an additional subscription and having GP running at the same time as SD to simply transfer routes.  This would make for a complex procedure in flight to transfer a 'rubber-banded' SD route change across to the 660 via GP so as to drive a Garmin autopilot.  In the 'all Garmin world' all this is possible, but not when SD is involved.  Unless Garmin agree to cooperate with SD, that is ...

WiltshireMike
W
Have now purchased my own Aera660 ... with SkyDemon on the PC it's easy enough to save a SD route as a .fpl to the 660's microSD card, either via a card reader, or with the 660 connected to the PC and set to 'mass storage'; MS Explorer shows two drives, one labelled as the Aera and the second, the SD card, as a separate drive.  So with the new .fpl on the 660's SD card the route can be loaded from Main menu > Flight plan list > Menu > Import.  I guess Garmin Pilot loads the route directly to the 660 via Connext, either on ground or in-flight?
Perhaps a potential work-around for route transfer from SD to 660 could be via Bluetooth SDIO card in a SD-to-microSD extension card adaptor plugged into the 660, but this would require SD to add an optional external drive to the Route > Save option.  It wouldn't offer seamless sychronisation between tablet and 660 but might be acceptable while on the ground.    

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search