SkyDemon Forums

Route Export to GARMIN 660 devices

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic29335.aspx

By Mike Stueber - 9/6/2019 9:52:21 AM

Tim Dawson - 9/5/2019 4:13:13 PM
Garmin do not allow us to interface directly with their hardware. It is their decision.

Hallo Tim,

thanks for your response. What I don't understand is the fact, that it is possible to export routes with SkyDemon from the PC directly to the GARMIN 660 device. What's the difference between exporting from iPad to the 660 device?.

By Tim Dawson - 9/10/2019 1:50:05 PM

You have a cable linking your iPad with a Garmin 660 device?
By Mike Stueber - 9/13/2019 5:58:45 PM

Tim Dawson - 9/10/2019 1:50:05 PM
You have a cable linking your iPad with a Garmin 660 device?

No, Tim, I haven't. Is that the reason, that Garmin allows the connection with cable but not via Bluetooth?

Mike

By Mike Stueber - 9/23/2019 12:09:18 PM

Hallo Tim,

once more my question:

why it's possible to connect the Garmin 660 with the PC and transfer routes (it workes perfect) and why it's not possible to do the same via bluetooth from an iPad?

Your answer was:"Garmin do not allow us to interface directly with their hardware. It is their decision."                                               

Is it only allowed to you to transfer dates from SkyDemon via cable to a Garmin device?

Mike

By Tim Dawson - 9/24/2019 10:05:43 AM

There used to be a published RS232 protocol for linking older Garmin devices with PCs. Clearly modern tablets do not have any means of doing an RS232 cabled connection so that's a non-starter.

Garmin have kept all wireless protocol details to themselves. If you wish SkyDemon to talk wirelessly with Garmin hardware, ask Garmin to work with us. They know we are willing.
By Mike Stueber - 9/25/2019 12:48:57 PM

Tim Dawson - 9/24/2019 10:05:43 AM
There used to be a published RS232 protocol for linking older Garmin devices with PCs. Clearly modern tablets do not have any means of doing an RS232 cabled connection so that's a non-starter.

Garmin have kept all wireless protocol details to themselves. If you wish SkyDemon to talk wirelessly with Garmin hardware, ask Garmin to work with us. They know we are willing.

Hallo Tim,

the Garmin 660 is not an old device, it's one of the newest you can buy and you can connect it to the PC via USB-cable or use Bluetooth. 

Thanks for your informations. I'll ask GARMIN why it's not possible to use the Bluetooth-Funktion with the SkyDemon App on the iPad.

By Tim Dawson - 9/30/2019 10:14:27 AM

We speak quite regularly. I can assure you, they are aware that we are willing. However, I will do as you ask, and alert them again.
By wyullg - 12/10/2019 3:17:45 AM

Tim Dawson - 9/30/2019 10:14:27 AM
We speak quite regularly. I can assure you, they are aware that we are willing. However, I will do as you ask, and alert them again.

Hi Tim,

Surely this is a question of money. Garmin must be willing if you pay a license fee or similar? They allowed Foreflight after all. 

I personally would be willing to pay extra for this flightstream feature. Call it an add-on to the standard subscription. Just an idea. 
By Tim Dawson - 12/10/2019 11:38:58 AM

No, money has never been mentioned. I suspect that the deal they did with Foreflight has not exactly worked out well for them. Just my personal opinion.
By WiltshireMike - 5/25/2022 8:47:59 PM

gflyer - 2/18/2022 11:18:53 PM
I wrote to Steve from Garmin. Will see.

Did you receive a reply that you are able to share?

I too am very keen to support a (wired?) SD > 660 > GFC500 in-flight link, but which doesn't affect the SE2 wifi traffic link to my Android tablet.
By Mike Stueber - 5/27/2022 10:52:55 AM

Mike Stueber - 9/23/2019 12:09:18 PM

Hallo Tim,

once more my question:

why it's possible to connect the Garmin 660 with the PC and transfer routes (it workes perfect) and why it's not possible to do the same via bluetooth from an iPad?

Your answer was:"Garmin do not allow us to interface directly with their hardware. It is their decision."                                               

Is it only allowed to you to transfer dates from SkyDemon via cable to a Garmin device?

Mike

Hi Tim, you asked me, if I  have a cable. If I would buy a cable, to connect the GARMIN 660 with my iPad-mini, would it be possible to transfer routes like with a PC? Many thanks for a answer. 
By WiltshireMike - 5/27/2022 9:04:40 PM

Hi Mike,
Sadly it's a little more complex than simply connecting the tablet to the 660. I recently borrowed a friend's 660, manually entered a route then connected it to my PC to see what the internal file structure looks like.  There was no obvious 'route' directory with the route saved as a .fpl file, so I guess the file is stored somewhere else, visible only to the Garmin Pilot app.  The only method which I understand would work, having created the route in SD on a tablet would be to do a BT transfer to Garmin Pilot  and from there to the 660.  But that means paying an additional subscription and having GP running at the same time as SD to simply transfer routes.  This would make for a complex procedure in flight to transfer a 'rubber-banded' SD route change across to the 660 via GP so as to drive a Garmin autopilot.  In the 'all Garmin world' all this is possible, but not when SD is involved.  Unless Garmin agree to cooperate with SD, that is ...
By WiltshireMike - 7/5/2022 9:26:02 PM

Garmin very kindly gave me an extended free trial of their Garmin Pilot app ... it may well suit US-style 'filed airway' operation but its planning interface, certainly for European VFR ops, is not a patch on SkyDemon's, and lack of SkyEcho traffic capability is a major failing.  Its database downloads are clunky and it has no vertical airspace depiction.
Such a pity Garmin have elected to maintain their 'walled garden' policy; I wonder how many more G3X systems they'd sell in EU if they offered SD interface ...
By gflyer - 1/24/2022 9:29:38 AM

Hi,

The area 660 has under the function button “Active Flight Plan” a function called “connext” and I saw a video on YouTube where a expert where telling he use this function in combination with a Garmin Watch to send flight plans from iPad.
Does anybody know if we can use it with SkyDemon? *.fpl is working, so we just need the transfer via Bluetooth in the air.
I use the area 660 to drive my Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot. If I would have a connection to SkyDemon if would be the perfect setup.

Regards
gflyer
By Raphael_A - 1/26/2022 7:42:51 AM

What I use is a SD Card and SD-Adapter to transfer the *.fpl File from IPad to Garmin G3X or G1000. Works.

Could be perfect, if there would be a simple export function from SkyDemon iPad to SD Card.
By gflyer - 1/26/2022 8:14:58 AM

Thanks for information. The area 660 and 760 has a Bluetooth connection called Connext in the Active Flight Plan mode. This would be the preferred way to use it in flight with changes on the routing. Seams it work with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight. Wondering why it does not work with SkyDemon?
By Tim Dawson - 1/26/2022 10:27:40 AM

We are willing but Garmin have decided not to allow any more apps to be able to connect to their devices in this way.
By gflyer - 1/26/2022 12:02:21 PM

Why they allow to Foreflight? That’s the way how it works with them, have a look https://youtu.be/mBnv88S4tj4
That’s a perfect connection between the two worlds (ipad and Garmin device) and gives a lot of benefit and security while having a great backup and steering control of there GFC 500 Autopilot.
I hope Garmin will understand this is also a good reason to purchase a area 660 / 760.
By Tim Dawson - 1/27/2022 10:15:53 AM

You should ask them. We do not have the answers you seek.
By gflyer - 1/28/2022 11:10:11 AM

Any contact?
By Tim Dawson - 1/31/2022 10:19:37 AM

Not one that I have been told I can give out publicly.
By Marc25 - 2/7/2022 9:17:56 AM

[quote]
gflyer - 2/2/2022 5:29:40 PM
Any general eMail they answer

Hello gflyer, 
You could try to contact Garmin team X, I follow 'vansairforce' forum, and they are involved in tech, integration and development.
I'm also very interested to have integration / or route transfer SD <> AERA

Here it is:
Steve & Brian 
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
By gflyer - 2/9/2022 9:10:22 PM

May this information helps, I found on the Vans Forum about area 660.

2- Does the 660 "connext" with other Garmin apps like FltPlan Go?

Quick note to confirm I had no trouble exchanging flight plans (in either direction) between FltPlan Go on my iPad and the Aera 660 using the Connext feature. You connect the two devices via Bluetooth ... then within the FltPlan Go app you select Garmin as the External Device. Only flight plans are exchanged between the devices. There was some reference in an earlier post asking where / or if a Stratux receiver fits into the mix (I use one myself). That still requires a separate WiFi connection between the iPad / FltPlan Go and Stratux; ADS-B data does not flow to the Aera even with Connext active between the two. I gather from the Stratux development boards Garmin has recently opened some of their protocols; fingers crossed we may see that in the future.

By Tim Dawson - 2/17/2022 12:26:29 PM

FltPlan Go belongs to Garmin.
By gflyer - 2/18/2022 11:18:53 PM

I wrote to Steve from Garmin. Will see.
By Mike Stueber - 9/3/2019 10:50:21 AM

Now it’spossible to export direct flight plans to GARMIN Pilot.

It's possible to connect the ipad via Bluetooth with the Garmin 660 device.

It would be very helpful to export planned routes to the Garmin 660 also.

I don't understand why it's not possible.

Garmin Pilot and Garmin 660 GPS are both from GARMIN .

Perhaps it would be possible to ask the guys from Garmin to get this feature.

By gflyer - 2/2/2022 5:29:40 PM

Any general eMail they answer?
By Tim Dawson - 2/3/2022 11:58:23 AM

If you own a Garmin device, there is probably a customer support number or email, for all support questions.
By Mike Stueber - 9/30/2019 9:44:02 AM

Hi Tim,

here the answer from GARMIN:

----------

CurrentlyGarmin Products are compatible with other Garmin products and some third partyproducts.

However todue propriety information it is not always possible for products to becompatible with other third parties. There areongoing talks with third party products and applications to address the issueyou have raised, however I do not have a time frame on when this will beeffective.

--------

Perhaps it's possible you try to speak once more with the Garmin Company.

Many thanks.

By WiltshireMike - 6/30/2022 1:52:51 PM

Have now purchased my own Aera660 ... with SkyDemon on the PC it's easy enough to save a SD route as a .fpl to the 660's microSD card, either via a card reader, or with the 660 connected to the PC and set to 'mass storage'; MS Explorer shows two drives, one labelled as the Aera and the second, the SD card, as a separate drive.  So with the new .fpl on the 660's SD card the route can be loaded from Main menu > Flight plan list > Menu > Import.  I guess Garmin Pilot loads the route directly to the 660 via Connext, either on ground or in-flight?
Perhaps a potential work-around for route transfer from SD to 660 could be via Bluetooth SDIO card in a SD-to-microSD extension card adaptor plugged into the 660, but this would require SD to add an optional external drive to the Route > Save option.  It wouldn't offer seamless sychronisation between tablet and 660 but might be acceptable while on the ground.    

By WiltshireMike - 6/30/2022 4:33:59 PM

I asked Garmin Europe about Skydemon <> Aera 660 interfacing and here is their reply:
"In terms of Skydemon, we are aware of a desire, especially from UK customers to have some sort of integration with our avionics and portable units. Unfortunately because Garmin produces it's own navigation app and Skydemon is effectively unknown in the US, it's unlikely that our software developers in the US will be able to devote any time to this. I'm sorry about that, we will continue to pass this feedback to our colleagues in any case. "

I wonder just how much effort is actually required by Garmin ??

Tim, I guess you've already had a similar response?

By Tim Dawson - 7/1/2022 12:00:36 PM

The US part of Garmin is well aware of the desire among most European pilots to integrate SkyDemon with Garmin avionics. However at present their policy is not to allow this, presumably to encourage more pilots to purchase their own Garmin Pilot app. We brought the issue to Garmin's attention again at Aero this year but there has been no change in policy as yet.