Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Suggestion: Keep aircraft and waypoints synced

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As always, adding great banks of switches in the options is NOT correctly solving the problem. Detailed feedback on specific use cases is welcome. Let's focus on one type of syncing at a time, and have a discussion about the pros and cons, otherwise it isn't worth the discussion.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/24/2019 3:42:03 PM
We would love to do automatic sync, but the rules need to be different for the different types of things you can save to the cloud in SkyDemon. We discussed at great length the notion of automatically syncing planned routes between devices this year, or last year, and there were too many factors against it. Instead we improved the user interface so that it solved many of the problems users wanted auto-sync of routes to solve.

Logs is something different, and I would be in favour of automatic backing up of logs to the cloud after a flight. We have seen some users protest against this due to privacy concerns, and in fact those concerns conceivably stretch to any automatic syncing of any data, so it would need to be optional.

I'm in favour of automatic syncing of settings, but even on this thread somebody has made a perfectly reasonable objection to the notion of this happening.

The automatic syncing of aircraft profiles when they are updated is a nice idea too, albeit it wouldn't update all your saved routes which use that profile.

User waypoints in general is a feature which is due for an overhaul, and I'd like to better integrate the cloud at that point. Suggestions are, as always, welcome.

Tim

I've always thought of the lack of an 'auto-sync' feature as no more than a minor, but irritating inconvenience. Nevertheless, I've also always considered such a feature to be desirable, but couldn't make up my mind as to how it should be implemented. Having given the matter a great deal of thought, may I make the following suggestion:-

1. Make Auto-Sync a user selectable option in Settings;
2. If a user selects Auto-Sync  they should then be presented with a list of check boxes so that they can then select which items in the list they would like to see auto-synced;
3. Needless to say, if a user selects auto-sync of Settings then the auto-sync settings themselves should be auto-synced.

I'm not a programmer, so have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but I think that it would be an elegant solution to the Auto-Sync conundrum and would/should satisfy even the most demanding of users.

KInd regards

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Edited 7/25/2019 11:08:32 AM by Sky Painter
ArnaudC
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I would be in favor of a user-selectable auto-sync.
jfw
jfw
Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.2K reputation)
Sky Painter - 7/25/2019 11:03:12 AM
3. Needless to say, if a user selects auto-sync of Settings then the auto-sync settings themselves should be auto-synced.

I beg to differ. I want to be able to define what is synced and what not by device, auto-syncing the sync settings would not allow this...

emporer
e
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
i asked several times for it, they don‘t implement it, i don‘t understand why, maybe more user should start to complain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
Add me to the list in favour of auto-sync. Add on/off switches in settings to appease the few who are not interested.

Been using the software for years now, and manually syncing is a day to day annoyance and poses real risk to losing my data if not done properly.

I even raised my own feature request about this back in 2017 with 38 thumbs up in support: http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic23791.aspx

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search