Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature Request - Auto Sync across devices

Author
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I'm a big fan of both SkyDemon and Apple products. I frequently use both my iPhone and iPad for flying.

‌I find it convenient to flight plan on my iPhone and then use the iPad in flight, mainly because the iPhone is always with me, but the iPad may be on charge or in my flight bag.

‌I would love to see SkyDemon simplify the Open/Save to Cloud feature so its more autonomous, whereby the user saves a new route/aircraft/waypoint on one device, and the saved item is automatically sync'd to my other device via the cloud. Much like how Apple software syncs user data across devices through its own iCloud.

‌At the moment, its very old fashioned. I want to be able to see my changes on my 2nd devices, without having to manually open from cloud. Often I will create a route with a new user waypoint on my iPhone, and I have to separately save the new user waypoint and also save the route to the cloud. Then on the iPad I have to manually open from cloud the new waypoint and also the new route. All of this requires a lot of user interaction and can be prone to error, because if I create one user waypoint on one device, but another different one on another device, as soon as I save/open from cloud, one of the user waypoints will be removed.

‌Thanks Pete
plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
SemperFi - 7/3/2017 3:15:37 PM
 I don't see a good way to do that, as I keep my iPhone and iPad settings different due to the different usage. How do you think such selective sync could be configured???

Have auto-sync option in settings which users can enable/disable as they please and per device.

‌‌Perhaps the settings could be configured at a deeper level, so separate auto-sync on/off options for settings, routes, user waypoints, and aircraft.

‌E.g.
‌Auto-Sync All [On/Off] (this would toggle all sub-settings On/Off globally)
‌-> Custom Settings [On/Off]
‌-> Routes [On/Off]
‌-> User Waypoints [On/Off]
‌-> Aircraft [On/Off]

plume_tray
plume_tray
Perhaps in your case, multiple user profiles may be more appropriate to your needs. I'm sure the smart SkyDemon developers could come up with an elegant solution.
plume_tray
plume_tray
Hi

Now that cloud storage of saved routes are becoming automatic in the next update, I would like to reiterate my request for automatic cloud storage of user waypoints and aircraft too please.

Thanks Pete
ArnaudC
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
plume_tray - 7/3/2017 2:17:29 PM
Hi, I'm a big fan of both SkyDemon and Apple products. I frequently use both my iPhone and iPad for flying.

‌I find it convenient to flight plan on my iPhone and then use the iPad in flight, mainly because the iPhone is always with me, but the iPad may be on charge or in my flight bag.

‌I would love to see SkyDemon simplify the Open/Save to Cloud feature so its more autonomous, whereby the user saves a new route/aircraft/waypoint on one device, and the saved item is automatically sync'd to my other device via the cloud. Much like how Apple software syncs user data across devices through its own iCloud.

‌At the moment, its very old fashioned. I want to be able to see my changes on my 2nd devices, without having to manually open from cloud. Often I will create a route with a new user waypoint on my iPhone, and I have to separately save the new user waypoint and also save the route to the cloud. Then on the iPad I have to manually open from cloud the new waypoint and also the new route. All of this requires a lot of user interaction and can be prone to error, because if I create one user waypoint on one device, but another different one on another device, as soon as I save/open from cloud, one of the user waypoints will be removed.

‌Thanks Pete

While it's not a live link, I use the sharing via AirDrop, so you don't need the cloud.
U‌sually planning on the iPad, and when I'm all set send it to the iPhone as back-up.

I would probably like the feature, but I‌'m afraid the live sync would be power hungry.‌

plume_tray
plume_tray
Live / Auto sync wouldn't have to be active continuously, only in use on save and open, so shouldn't be too hungry on power. I'm guessing this would match the way routes are now synced to the cloud.

I have a fair sized list of User Waypoints which I use for Helicopter Landing Sites or various other bits. Just this morning I had to go through each one and remove the Identifier values, as these were populated in error in one of the previous software updates. Because I use 2 devices, I need to remember to manually Save to Cloud on thr 1st device and then Open from Cloud on the 2nd device to sync changes. If I forget and then make an edit on the 2nd device and go through the Save to/Open from Cloud, there is the risk that all those original edits I spent an hour fixing on the 1st device, could be overwritten. Auto sync would prevent this problem for me.
ArnaudC
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Manual sharing via Airdrop between iDevices is as close to auto sync as it gets.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search