Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon intelligent voice alerts with Pilotaware

Author
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I tried SD today with a Rosetta PAw, using GDL90. PAw connected to the audio panel, SD sound connected via tablet / Bluetooth to my headset (with a different voice).
The runway annunciation and airspace warnings were great. GPS traffic worked fine.
There was 'traffic' target in the tower, a base station I think, but SD thought it was an aircraft and warned me of it while PAw ignored it.
I prefer to also receive the bearingless targets that PAw provides.
Any chance that SD could add that as an option? Then I would only need the SD audio into my panel. Otherwise it gets complicated, or I have to use only PAw and lose the airspace / runway stuff. I don't need rings when the targets are announced.

I use the GDL90 protocol with PAw with 2 SDRs, so the weather can be received aloft. My weather tab shows the red dot. I just need to fly over SD HQ or Redhill to get an update. I'll let you know.

SD rocks, thankyou
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
I believe there is an option somewhere in PAW to make it stop reporting base stations to SkyDemon as if they were traffic.

We have no current plans to annunciate bearingless targets in SkyDemon, sorry. If you want that functionality you'll have to use the annunciations from PAW itself.

neilmurg
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/12/2019 10:28:37 AM
I believe there is an option somewhere in PAW to make it stop reporting base stations to SkyDemon as if they were traffic.

We have no current plans to annunciate bearingless targets in SkyDemon, sorry. If you want that functionality you'll have to use the annunciations from PAW itself.

Thanks Tim
I didn't expect to get bearingless via SD, as I understand it GDL90 doesn't support it, so I know it's an difficult ask. No harm it putting it out there tho'
On the base station 'traffic', I do want to see the base stations, I just don't want to be told they're a danger and crossing left to right...

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
Out of curiosity, why do you want to see the base stations?
McFly98
M
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Hello,

i'am using SD for a few years now and recently a Rosetta.
It would be nice to see groundstations (optimally adjustable in the settings). 
The stations gives you more information (at the moment flarm targets, in future possibly more). That's why (if i have the freedom) i would like to alter my course according to the groundstations. 
I understand that not everyone wants to see the stations. But this is solvable through the settings. 
Other vfr apps are already showing the groundstations as little antennas.

Btw.: I prefer a adjustable voice alert for bearingless targets. It would reduce the "on screen eye time". I can imagine that a short sentence like: "Bearingless incoming high/low" would be helpfull. 

cu...

smoothop3
s
Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)
I really like Sky Demon. I also really like Pilotaware - as do another 2500 pilots in the UK!

I do not know how many of the other 2500 pilots use the bearing-less target audio warnings but I suspect most of them do. Knowing another plane is within 500 ft in altitude of me is very useful indeed.

On the other hand, the new audio warnings for navigation are also very useful.

For me personally, it is a major disappointment  that I have to choose using Pilotaware warnings or SkyDemon.

Tim, it would be really nice if you can add an option in SD please.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
What would the warning(s) say?
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (981 reputation)Too Much Forum (981 reputation)Too Much Forum (981 reputation)Too Much Forum (981 reputation)Too Much Forum (981 reputation)Too Much Forum (981 reputation)Too Much Forum (981 reputation)Too Much Forum (981 reputation)Too Much Forum (981 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/14/2019 10:38:49 AM
What would the warning(s) say?

Maybe it can say 'for those pilots currently not looking outside, there is something outside detected so Skydemon and their crew apologizes for any inconvenience and advice to get your f***ing eyeballs out the window' ?

I agree to a 'something is somewhere out there' message is somehow useless.

Edited 3/14/2019 12:46:44 PM by MarkusM
smoothop3
s
Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)
Tim,
"Caution, traffic 1000 feet (nearest 100) above/below/level" or something similar.

I am based in Bath and run an OGN-R station with Flarm, PilotAware, ADSB and Mode-S MLAT here. I am about to put one into Wadswick Airstrip and into Henstridge which I believe is near you. I would love to meet personally (to thank you for the wonderful SD!) and to show you where the ground network is and is going. Would that interest you?

Chris

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
My problem is if we're saying that every few minutes it devalues the rest of our traffic warnings, which really are intelligent and used seldomly, in order not to annoy the user and make them turn the feature off. The use of the word "caution" might cause alarm when the traffic is over 10 miles away and of no concern whatsoever.

We are fairly local to you, having just moved into new offices in Frome. I'm sure you can pop by sometime for a chat.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search