Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPhone / Route / Share - G1000 - Missing .fpl file

Author
d
Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to figure out a way to wirelessly transfer SkyDemon route to G1000. For that purpose I have purchased Toshiba FlashAir SD card which allows you to wirelessly transfer files to/from your mobile/tablet device. 

My idea is to create a flightplan in SD, go to Route/Share, choose FlashAir app (or FileBrowserGO to save to network drive) and see if the flightplan will be loaded onto the device.

However during the export only two files are created:
- text.txt
- MyRoute.flightplan

Text file mentions that GPX and FPL formats should be saved as well:
"The route is attached in native SkyDemon format, and also in GPX and FPL formats for use with other systems. "

but they are nowhere to be found, my skydemon version is 3.10.4

I have read somewhere that people are successfully transferring routes to G1000 by saving as FPL, so if SD could share .flp then it's basically a done deal and it should be loaded by G1000. 

I am not familiar with iOS development and deployment to appstore but I could probably write a small iOS app which would convert the .flightplan to .fpl and transfer to FlashAir if SD is not able to do fpl export/share since I think that this function could be interesting to a lot of users.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I suspect that .fpl export is only possible from SkyDemon Plan (our PC software). Have you tried on there?

danko
d
Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/24/2018 10:02:29 AM
I suspect that .fpl export is only possible from SkyDemon Plan (our PC software). Have you tried on there?

Yes, from the PC it works, I was hoping that it could work from phone as well since it's mentioned in the text file. If not it's not a problem I can anyway come up with small application to convert&upload the file to wireless SD card.

Edited 9/24/2018 3:05:17 PM by danko
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I don't think we've had much call to make our .fpl exporter function on the mobile versions of our software, which is why it's currently not included. If we get much call, we would certainly consider it of course.
wacits
wacits
Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)
If on the iPad or iPhone you can share - email the files to yourself. This has the .GPX file which you can save locally on the iPad or iphone.
The problem is trying to get it off the iPad / iPhone onto the sd card.

I used this method to get it onto a sd card when I was using an android phone / tablet to run SkyDemon.

I have not cracked moving the .GPX file from the iPad / iPhone.

I have an aera 660 which can connect via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi but no way of transferring it from the iPad / iPhone.

Regards

Wayne

EU001939
E
Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)
On the PC VERSION, I’m using the .fpl export function to an SD card to load the flightplan in the G1000 of a Diamond DA40, and it works great ! Thank you for this functionality as it saves a lot of pre-flight time, and even Garmin has no solution for this .

The wireless solution is not an option on the G1000 as it doesn’t have wi-fi or bluetooth connectivity, and all the (costly) add-ons from Garmin only work on the G1000 NXI. So even if you did find a solution to send the flightplan, there is no way to receive it.

Question for Tim: One of the strong points of Skydemon is the ability to select a different altitude for each leg. The G1000 can do the same, when you create the flight plan on the MFD (WHICH TAKES FOREVER ! ) But do you know if the .fpl format allows transfer of altitude for each leg ? Because that would make the .fpl export from Skydemon even greater !

Just an idea: Why not use the Icloud functionality on IOS as a repository for own documents in Skydemon ? The icloud could then be used on the mobile skydemon to export .fpl and used the to put it on an sd-card. No more pc necessary...

Just a tought...

Tony
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search