SkyDemon Forums

iPhone / Route / Share - G1000 - Missing .fpl file

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic26989.aspx

By danko - 9/23/2018 9:19:52 PM

I am trying to figure out a way to wirelessly transfer SkyDemon route to G1000. For that purpose I have purchased Toshiba FlashAir SD card which allows you to wirelessly transfer files to/from your mobile/tablet device. 

My idea is to create a flightplan in SD, go to Route/Share, choose FlashAir app (or FileBrowserGO to save to network drive) and see if the flightplan will be loaded onto the device.

However during the export only two files are created:
- text.txt
- MyRoute.flightplan

Text file mentions that GPX and FPL formats should be saved as well:
"The route is attached in native SkyDemon format, and also in GPX and FPL formats for use with other systems. "

but they are nowhere to be found, my skydemon version is 3.10.4

I have read somewhere that people are successfully transferring routes to G1000 by saving as FPL, so if SD could share .flp then it's basically a done deal and it should be loaded by G1000. 

I am not familiar with iOS development and deployment to appstore but I could probably write a small iOS app which would convert the .flightplan to .fpl and transfer to FlashAir if SD is not able to do fpl export/share since I think that this function could be interesting to a lot of users.

By EU001939 - 12/24/2018 9:09:39 AM

On the PC VERSION, I’m using the .fpl export function to an SD card to load the flightplan in the G1000 of a Diamond DA40, and it works great ! Thank you for this functionality as it saves a lot of pre-flight time, and even Garmin has no solution for this .

The wireless solution is not an option on the G1000 as it doesn’t have wi-fi or bluetooth connectivity, and all the (costly) add-ons from Garmin only work on the G1000 NXI. So even if you did find a solution to send the flightplan, there is no way to receive it.

Question for Tim: One of the strong points of Skydemon is the ability to select a different altitude for each leg. The G1000 can do the same, when you create the flight plan on the MFD (WHICH TAKES FOREVER ! ) But do you know if the .fpl format allows transfer of altitude for each leg ? Because that would make the .fpl export from Skydemon even greater !

Just an idea: Why not use the Icloud functionality on IOS as a repository for own documents in Skydemon ? The icloud could then be used on the mobile skydemon to export .fpl and used the to put it on an sd-card. No more pc necessary...

Just a tought...

Tony