Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Enroute-Time instead of distance in "What´s here" or "TRACK WAYPOINT"

Enroute-Time instead of distance in "What´s here" or "TRACK WAYPOINT"
Author
R
Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi forum,

I use SD on iPad3, Samsung S5
‌‌
I checked the manual and did not find what I´m looking for.

As Italian ATC likes estimate times to waypoint x (e.g. any VFR-reporting-point)‌‌
My idea to deliver ATC the time is - independent how many waypoints are enroute between my present position and the requested waypoint - to tap the (from ATC) desired waypoint and get the information from the top of the "What´s here" screen (e.g. instead of distance). Would it be possible to show (configure- or tapable) the time instead of distance there?

I know the "Measure from here" tool but "in flight", on a bumpy day, I think it is too complicated to operate with that ruler, which is perfect for planning purposes. In my opinion the "What´s here" or "Track waypoint" feature would be the best to deliver estimate times between the actual position and any desired point on the chart during flight.

Curious about your thoughts about that or how you solve that.‌‌

Best wishes,
Renzo‌‌

Edited 4/13/2018 12:41:47 PM by Renzo
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Renzo - 4/13/2018 12:41:47 PM
Hi forum,

‌‌

As Italian ATC likes estimate times to waypoint x (e.g. any VFR-reporting-point)‌‌
My idea to deliver ATC the time is - independent how many waypoints are enroute between my present position and the requested waypoint - to tap the (from ATC) desired waypoint and get the information from the top of the "What´s here" screen (e.g. instead of distance). Would it be possible to show (configure- or tapable) the time instead of distance there?

I know the "Measure from here" tool but "in flight", on a bumpy day, I think it is too complicated to operate with that ruler, which is perfect for planning purposes. In my opinion the "What´s here" or "Track waypoint" feature would be the best to deliver estimate times between the actual position and any desired point on the chart during flight.

Best wishes,
Renzo‌‌

If you go to Settings > Navigation Options > Instruments you can select which instruments you wish to have displayed at the top of the screen during flight, including Show Time to Next and during flight you can tap on this instrument to cycle through ETA Next > ETE Next > ETA End > ETE End and then back to ETA Next. Is this not sufficient for your needs? 

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Renzo
R
Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)
Sky Painter - 4/13/2018 4:06:20 PM
Hi forum,

‌‌

Best wishes,
Renzo‌‌

If you go to Settings > Navigation Options > Instruments you can select which instruments you wish to have displayed at the top of the screen during flight, including Show Time to Next and during flight you can tap on this instrument to cycle through ETA Next > ETE Next > ETA End > ETE End and then back to ETA Next. Is this not sufficient for your needs? 

Hi Mike,
unfortunately not sufficient. Why?  To work with "Show Time to Next" requires that the *next* waypoint on my planned route is the one ATC refers to.

‌‌Imagine you have three waypoints on your planned routing between your present position and the reporting point ATC refers to‌. "Show Time to Next" will only show the time to the next waypoint on your planned route. The "ATC-requested" waypoint will be - let´s say - number 4 on our routing. ‌You never know which waypoint ATC requests for an estimated time.

‌I hope my language is able to make the point clear :-)

Best wishes,
Renzo

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Renzo - 4/15/2018 6:00:30 PM
Hi forum,

‌‌

Best wishes,
Renzo‌‌

Hi Mike,
unfortunately not sufficient. Why?  To work with "Show Time to Next" requires that the *next* waypoint on my planned route is the one ATC refers to.

‌‌Imagine you have three waypoints on your planned routing between your present position and the reporting point ATC refers to‌. "Show Time to Next" will only show the time to the next waypoint on your planned route. The "ATC-requested" waypoint will be - let´s say - number 4 on our routing. ‌You never know which waypoint ATC requests for an estimated time.

Best wishes,
Renzo

Hi Renzo

I‌ see the problem now. I hadn't realised‌ that ATC were referencing a waypoint other than "next."

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

emporer
e
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Sky Painter - 4/16/2018 10:02:18 AM
Hi forum,

‌‌

Best wishes,
Renzo‌‌

Hi Mike,

Best wishes,
Renzo

Hi Renzo

I‌ see the problem now. I hadn't realised‌ that ATC were referencing a waypoint other than "next."

I like the idea while in flight  by tapping on the screen you get the menu "whats here" and you will see
-‌the time of arrival and distance either direct
-‌or following the planned flight routing along the waypoints

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Hi forum,

‌‌

Best wishes,
Renzo‌‌

Hi Mike,

Best wishes,
Renzo

Hi Renzo

W‌e shouldn't overlook the fact that your ETA to any waypoint on ‌your planned route can be accessed from the PLOG. However, this is of no help if ATC is referencing a waypoint which is NOT part of your planned route.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Renzo
R
Sky Painter - 4/16/2018 4:04:10 PM
Hi forum,

‌‌

Best wishes,
Renzo‌‌

Hi Mike,

Best wishes,
Renzo

Hi Renzo

W‌e shouldn't overlook the fact that your ETA to any waypoint on ‌your planned route can be accessed from the PLOG. However, this is of no help if ATC is referencing a waypoint which is NOT part of your planned route.

Hi Mike,

... it is more or less helpful because ETA shows the actual time of day when you arrive at the specific waypoint - ok, you could calculate the duration based on the ETA from  the PLOG but my iPad calculates more precise ;-). They usually would like to hear e.g. 24 mins north of "waypoint xxx"

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
If ATC are asking for your ETA at a waypoint further in your route, the PLOG gives this with one touch to access it.

F‌or ETA at any other waypoint, yes, we could potentially do better here. The only trouble is if you're expecting SkyDemon to take your route into account, e.g. should we look around corners as we do in the PLOG? Or should we assume the ETA you're asking for is if you flew directly to that point? We'd have to take the wind into account at your current altitude of course.‌
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
Doesn't the ruler do this?

-- Chris.
Renzo
R
Tim Dawson - 4/16/2018 4:32:09 PM
If ATC are asking for your ETA at a waypoint further in your route, the PLOG gives this with one touch to access it.

F‌or ETA at any other waypoint, yes, we could potentially do better here. The only trouble is if you're expecting SkyDemon to take your route into account, e.g. should we look around corners as we do in the PLOG? Or should we assume the ETA you're asking for is if you flew directly to that point? We'd have to take the wind into account at your current altitude of course.‌

Hi Tim,

that´s completely right but the thing I (or better ATC asks for) is an ETE to any particular waypoint independent to your planned route in SD.

In the picture you see the red X (our position while havin contact to ATC) and the green X (the waypoint ATC asked for) and you see our planned route (circumnavigating Ronchi CTR, with several waypoints) and our actually flown track through the CTR which was coordinated by ATC.
In my "wonderworld of wishes", when I will be asked at the "red X pos" by ATC "...how long do you need to proceed to Ronchi (airport)?" I would like to tap onto RON-airport to get the "what´s here"-screen and see the ETE instead or maybe together with the distance to that waypoint.

Italian ATC (maybe others too?) loves it to ask for that often on VFR-Flights.

Tnx for your time, Tim!
Renzo

Attachments
ETE_waypoint.jpg (492 views, 60.00 KB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore