Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Terrain warning

Author
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Quite often get pop up warning terrain e.g. "Climb above 1500'" but already flying much higher than that. Why is this?
Thanks
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
Skyboy999 - 4/23/2017 8:21:29 AM
Quite often get pop up warning terrain e.g. "Climb above 1500'" but already flying much higher than that. Why is this?Thanks

Good question. I've often wondered this myself, but by the time I've landed, I've forgotten to enquire. It's very annoying when flying in the cruise at 3,000' to get the "bark bark bark" audio alert to look down and see  "antenna ahead, climb above 1,200'"

George Reid
George Reid
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
When you get this alert I suggest that you look at the virtual radar display.  You may be descending at that instant and SD is warning you of a possible problem if you continue on your current descent trajectory.

George E A Reid

Ipad Mini 5,  IOS 14.4,  SD 3.15.0.288
PC(Win 10, Version 19041.804)  SD 3.15.0.0

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Plausible. I'll check. But, if this the case, it seems a bit over sensitive as I'm sure any descent in such cruise would be temp due to turbulence or my clumsy flying.. Perhaps the SD guys will confirm. Thanks
Paul_Sengupta
P
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Other people have reported when playing back tracks from SD that have been taken using a built in tablet GPS, that their altitude drops to zero at seemingly random times during the flight. This can be seen on the elevation display at the bottom. Do a review of the flight to see if this is/was the case. I can only think that the built in GPS on tablets is losing the altitude somehow, maybe through a drop out of number of visible satellites. I don't seem to get it, but I have a canopy aeroplane. I also these days generally use the WAAS/EGNOS enabled GPS on my PilotAware as my GPS source.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
SkyDemon will warn you about an obstacle if by the time you get there, with your current trajectory (including vertical) you would be below a safe height above it, simple as that.

As others have said, it would be worth checking the virtual radar or your GPS altitude when this happens so you can get a feel for why it's happening. You may also wish to reduce the time-to-threat required to trigger the warning, which is set at three minutes by default.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search