Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Latest Android Sky Demon slow

Author
P
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What's changed in the latest version of Sky Demon for Android? I have SD loaded on a few of my Android tablets. The one I normally use in the aeroplane is a 2012 Nexus 7. I also have a 2013 Nexus 7 which I've now tasked for use in the aeroplane. The 2013 Nexus is set to auto update, and has updated Sky Demon to 3.7.1.28802.  Even on the faster Nexus, scrolling around the map or zooming in and out is now painfully slow and often locks up with the message "Sky Demon is not responding" or such. This also happens in the air, and it also seems to lock up for some seconds when you change direction. Luckily my 2012 Nexus is set to manual update and I haven't updated the app. I am on 3.7.0.27593. This works fine and the scrolling and zooming are ok.

A‌ friend who has as Asus 173 (same architecture as the 2012 Nexus 7) has auto update, it's updated and is barely useable on that.
‌‌‌
S‌o what did you do from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 and can it be undone?
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Probably no real help but I am running 3.7.1.28802 on my Samsung S3 phone and SD operation looks completely normal.
Map scrolling etc. is fine.
Tony‌‌
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
We did lots of things from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 and there is no general problem with slowness on Android devices. We've seen a few isolated cases but not enough to establish a pattern yet. If you have multiple devices which are suffering it would be helpful to know what they have in common.
Paul_Sengupta
P
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Ok, I've seen it on a 2013 Nexus 7 and on an Asus ME173X. I also have an Asus 572 I can try it on if you like but I'm a bit loathe to update it. Is there any way of switching back to the older software on these devices to try and compare them on the same tablet?

A‌ few times when it's locked up, I've use the "report" feature on Android to send the logs as to what the tablet is doing at the time. Do you make use of these logs?
Edited 3/15/2017 6:07:31 PM by Paul_Sengupta
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
We make all historical Android versions available on our website, on the Android page.

I'm not sure what reporting facility you are using (some are vendor specific I think) but we receive very few reports via Google which is where they should be going.‌
Paul_Sengupta
P
It's the google app crashing thing. "Sky Demon is not responding, Wait | Report | Close." I have been clicking on "Report". It then says "The report has been sent." or something like that. I've sent tens of reports for this issue.

I‌'ve been doing some more experimenting and if I close the app completely, i.e. not just quitting the program but also go into the recently used app thing and swipe it closed, then open it again, it's reasonably fast (fairly normal) for the first few seconds. However as you start scrolling around on the map it seems to get to a point where it's then slow thereafter. If you just quit the app and relaunch it without swiping it away, it seems to still be slow from the start.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Have you tried the latest beta?
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
Paul_Sengupta - 3/14/2017 12:19:28 AM
What's changed in the latest version of Sky Demon for Android? I have SD loaded on a few of my Android tablets. The one I normally use in the aeroplane is a 2012 Nexus 7. I also have a 2013 Nexus 7 which I've now tasked for use in the aeroplane. The 2013 Nexus is set to auto update, and has updated Sky Demon to 3.7.1.28802.  Even on the faster Nexus, scrolling around the map or zooming in and out is now painfully slow and often locks up with the message "Sky Demon is not responding" or such. This also happens in the air, and it also seems to lock up for some seconds when you change direction. Luckily my 2012 Nexus is set to manual update and I haven't updated the app. I am on 3.7.0.27593. This works fine and the scrolling and zooming are ok.

A‌ friend who has as Asus 173 (same architecture as the 2012 Nexus 7) has auto update, it's updated and is barely useable on that.
‌‌‌
S‌o what did you do from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 and can it be undone?

Same here on a Samsung Tab A model SM-T280, painfully slow.
Alexis

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
And have you tried the latest beta?
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/4/2017 3:03:59 PM
And have you tried the latest beta?

No I haven't where can i download it? I found the page of the website with all android previous version, but didn't find the beta version. 
Thanks‌. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search