Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Latest Android Sky Demon slow

Author
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/4/2017 3:14:10 PM
Tim Dawson - 4/4/2017 3:03:59 PM
And have you tried the latest beta?

No I haven't where can i download it? I found the page of the website with all android previous version, but didn't find the beta version. 
Thanks‌. 

http://www.skydemon.aero/start/beta.aspx

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/4/2017 3:14:10 PM
Tim Dawson - 4/4/2017 3:03:59 PM
And have you tried the latest beta?

No I haven't where can i download it? I found the page of the website with all android previous version, but didn't find the beta version. 
Thanks‌. 

I have downloaded the latest beta: what an improvement! Chart refresh is almost as fast as on my iPad! Brilliant, thanks!
On the other hand, the  georeferenced maps are still as slow as before to appear: it typically takes up to nine seconds on my tablet. 

Cheers‌‌, Alexis. 

Paul_Sengupta
P
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Ok, downloaded the beta. It's an improvement....I would say it's probably mostly back to normal now, but after a while of scrolling around the maps it still slows down a fair bit. I think it's worse when there are a lot of features to be drawn, airspace wise. Had to have a bit of a scroll around to load all the map back in to speed it up, then then, as I say, keep scrolling around and it slowed down again. Maybe this isn't an issue when flying any more though, as it's faster than it was!
judge
judge
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
Same with Samsung TAB S2...
‌ planing and moving map very slow..
Leandro Ferrari
Leandro Ferrari
Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)
I'm having the same problem with a new Samsung Tab S2 8" (just changed from an old iPad).

‌D‌uring flight yesterday using SD was painful... It was blocking all the time, not only w‌hen moving the map but also when using the buttons...

As suggested, I downloaded the beta and it's a lot better, although far from perfect. Plates are really slow to charge in the moving map and whenever you move the map they blink and redraw again.

‌H‌ope you guys can solve this problem with Android once and for all. I've been recommending SD to all my fellow pilots but the Android version is really not up to the same standards as the IOS one.
Edited 4/9/2017 7:58:51 AM by lfthomaz
Jalafu
Jalafu
Too Much Forum (956 reputation)Too Much Forum (956 reputation)Too Much Forum (956 reputation)Too Much Forum (956 reputation)Too Much Forum (956 reputation)Too Much Forum (956 reputation)Too Much Forum (956 reputation)Too Much Forum (956 reputation)Too Much Forum (956 reputation)
Hi,

s‌ame with me unfortunately.

U‌sing a Lenovo Yoga 10HD+, Skydemon itself runs quite well with the latest beta, but the georeferenced DFS charts are painfully slow (as described in the post above). Takes up to 30s for a typical chart to draw; with every scrolling/zooming they take some time to redraw. Tried with different Android devices (Nexus 7 2012, Samsung S7, unknown but very new Samsung Tab) with the same results. Recently had the chance to compare with an Iphone and was overwhelmed to see that charts appear instantanously.

S‌eems like there are some general issues with Skydemon and Android concerning pdf-rendering. Opening pdfs (--> charts) outside Skydemon is as fast as normal.

I‌ know that buying an Ipad would solve my problems instantly, but for several reasons (e.g. $$$ :-)) I would like to stick to Android for the time being. Is there any chance of getting this particular problems solved (I know that you´re currently busy with AERO, so don´t hurry), or should I consider switching to Apple in the long run? 

T‌hanks in advance

J‌an Lars‌‌

alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
lfthomaz - 4/9/2017 7:58:51 AM
I'm having the same problem with a new Samsung Tab S2 8" (just changed from an old iPad).

‌D‌uring flight yesterday using SD was painful... It was blocking all the time, not only w‌hen moving the map but also when using the buttons...

As suggested, I downloaded the beta and it's a lot better, although far from perfect. Plates are really slow to charge in the moving map and whenever you move the map they blink and redraw again.

‌H‌ope you guys can solve this problem with Android once and for all. I've been recommending SD to all my fellow pilots but the Android version is really not up to the same standards as the IOS one.

alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Jalafu - 4/9/2017 9:57:47 AM
Hi,

s‌ame with me unfortunately.

U‌sing a Lenovo Yoga 10HD+, Skydemon itself runs quite well with the latest beta, but the georeferenced DFS charts are painfully slow (as described in the post above). Takes up to 30s for a typical chart to draw; with every scrolling/zooming they take some time to redraw. Tried with different Android devices (Nexus 7 2012, Samsung S7, unknown but very new Samsung Tab) with the same results. Recently had the chance to compare with an Iphone and was overwhelmed to see that charts appear instantanously.

S‌eems like there are some general issues with Skydemon and Android concerning pdf-rendering. Opening pdfs (--> charts) outside Skydemon is as fast as normal.

I‌ know that buying an Ipad would solve my problems instantly, but for several reasons (e.g. $$$ :-)) I would like to stick to Android for the time being. Is there any chance of getting this particular problems solved (I know that you´re currently busy with AERO, so don´t hurry), or should I consider switching to Apple in the long run? 

T‌hanks in advance

J‌an Lars‌‌

Just back from a 2 hour flight in the Alps. In the beginning SD (Beta) was behaving rather well, but very quickly started to play up. Zoom in and out‌ started to react very slowly, be it by pinching or using the + - buttons. When called, the pilot log would blink‌ 5 or 6 times before displaying correctly. When arriving at my destination, the georeferenced plate appeared (taking the usual 9-10 seconds) ‌ but then just before I was overhead, it froze, and I got a message along the lines of "SkyDemon is not responding". One‌‌‌ thing I used repeatedly throughout​ the flight and that always worked fine, was calling the radio frequencies window. ‌‌‌

T‌‌‌‌im, do you have any idea why this happening? Can you give us an idea if this will ever be‌‌‌‌ solved, and when?
SD‌ is marketed as an OS/Android/PC product, ‌‌‌but right now, though I‌ fully appreciate that SD is not certified and should not be relied on alone, flying with the Android version is a little nerve wracking.

Thank you‌, Alexis. 

Leandro Ferrari
Leandro Ferrari
Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)Too Much Forum (852 reputation)
I completely agree with Alexis.
"B‌uy an iPad" is not a good option/excuse.‌ I‌f SD is officially supported in Android, it should work perfectly.
The SD team should make an effort to identify and correct this problem. I understand that is difficult to have all android devices to test, but if the problem is happening in different devices (that are more or less recent), it shouldn't be a hardware problem.

judge
judge
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
I installed the beta 3.7.2 but not faster than before 
and Zoom in and out‌ started to react very slowly,
‌‌sorry guys...
s‌amsung Tab S2 (9.7)
Edited 4/10/2017 9:07:26 AM by judge
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic