SkyDemon Forums

Latest Android Sky Demon slow

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic21619.aspx

By Paul_Sengupta - 4/3/2017 9:22:57 AM

It's the google app crashing thing. "Sky Demon is not responding, Wait | Report | Close." I have been clicking on "Report". It then says "The report has been sent." or something like that. I've sent tens of reports for this issue.

I‌'ve been doing some more experimenting and if I close the app completely, i.e. not just quitting the program but also go into the recently used app thing and swipe it closed, then open it again, it's reasonably fast (fairly normal) for the first few seconds. However as you start scrolling around on the map it seems to get to a point where it's then slow thereafter. If you just quit the app and relaunch it without swiping it away, it seems to still be slow from the start.
By Tim Dawson - 4/3/2017 4:06:12 PM

Have you tried the latest beta?
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/4/2017 2:17:18 PM

Paul_Sengupta - 3/14/2017 12:19:28 AM
What's changed in the latest version of Sky Demon for Android? I have SD loaded on a few of my Android tablets. The one I normally use in the aeroplane is a 2012 Nexus 7. I also have a 2013 Nexus 7 which I've now tasked for use in the aeroplane. The 2013 Nexus is set to auto update, and has updated Sky Demon to 3.7.1.28802.  Even on the faster Nexus, scrolling around the map or zooming in and out is now painfully slow and often locks up with the message "Sky Demon is not responding" or such. This also happens in the air, and it also seems to lock up for some seconds when you change direction. Luckily my 2012 Nexus is set to manual update and I haven't updated the app. I am on 3.7.0.27593. This works fine and the scrolling and zooming are ok.

A‌ friend who has as Asus 173 (same architecture as the 2012 Nexus 7) has auto update, it's updated and is barely useable on that.
‌‌‌
S‌o what did you do from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 and can it be undone?

Same here on a Samsung Tab A model SM-T280, painfully slow.
Alexis
By judge - 4/8/2017 12:03:00 PM

Same with Samsung TAB S2...
‌ planing and moving map very slow..
By lfthomaz - 4/9/2017 7:58:51 AM

I'm having the same problem with a new Samsung Tab S2 8" (just changed from an old iPad).

‌D‌uring flight yesterday using SD was painful... It was blocking all the time, not only w‌hen moving the map but also when using the buttons...

As suggested, I downloaded the beta and it's a lot better, although far from perfect. Plates are really slow to charge in the moving map and whenever you move the map they blink and redraw again.

‌H‌ope you guys can solve this problem with Android once and for all. I've been recommending SD to all my fellow pilots but the Android version is really not up to the same standards as the IOS one.
By Jalafu - 4/9/2017 9:57:47 AM

Hi,

s‌ame with me unfortunately.

U‌sing a Lenovo Yoga 10HD+, Skydemon itself runs quite well with the latest beta, but the georeferenced DFS charts are painfully slow (as described in the post above). Takes up to 30s for a typical chart to draw; with every scrolling/zooming they take some time to redraw. Tried with different Android devices (Nexus 7 2012, Samsung S7, unknown but very new Samsung Tab) with the same results. Recently had the chance to compare with an Iphone and was overwhelmed to see that charts appear instantanously.

S‌eems like there are some general issues with Skydemon and Android concerning pdf-rendering. Opening pdfs (--> charts) outside Skydemon is as fast as normal.

I‌ know that buying an Ipad would solve my problems instantly, but for several reasons (e.g. $$$ :-)) I would like to stick to Android for the time being. Is there any chance of getting this particular problems solved (I know that you´re currently busy with AERO, so don´t hurry), or should I consider switching to Apple in the long run? 

T‌hanks in advance

J‌an Lars‌‌
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/9/2017 8:54:16 PM

lfthomaz - 4/9/2017 7:58:51 AM
I'm having the same problem with a new Samsung Tab S2 8" (just changed from an old iPad).

‌D‌uring flight yesterday using SD was painful... It was blocking all the time, not only w‌hen moving the map but also when using the buttons...

As suggested, I downloaded the beta and it's a lot better, although far from perfect. Plates are really slow to charge in the moving map and whenever you move the map they blink and redraw again.

‌H‌ope you guys can solve this problem with Android once and for all. I've been recommending SD to all my fellow pilots but the Android version is really not up to the same standards as the IOS one.
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/9/2017 9:20:26 PM

Jalafu - 4/9/2017 9:57:47 AM
Hi,

s‌ame with me unfortunately.

U‌sing a Lenovo Yoga 10HD+, Skydemon itself runs quite well with the latest beta, but the georeferenced DFS charts are painfully slow (as described in the post above). Takes up to 30s for a typical chart to draw; with every scrolling/zooming they take some time to redraw. Tried with different Android devices (Nexus 7 2012, Samsung S7, unknown but very new Samsung Tab) with the same results. Recently had the chance to compare with an Iphone and was overwhelmed to see that charts appear instantanously.

S‌eems like there are some general issues with Skydemon and Android concerning pdf-rendering. Opening pdfs (--> charts) outside Skydemon is as fast as normal.

I‌ know that buying an Ipad would solve my problems instantly, but for several reasons (e.g. $$$ :-)) I would like to stick to Android for the time being. Is there any chance of getting this particular problems solved (I know that you´re currently busy with AERO, so don´t hurry), or should I consider switching to Apple in the long run? 

T‌hanks in advance

J‌an Lars‌‌

Just back from a 2 hour flight in the Alps. In the beginning SD (Beta) was behaving rather well, but very quickly started to play up. Zoom in and out‌ started to react very slowly, be it by pinching or using the + - buttons. When called, the pilot log would blink‌ 5 or 6 times before displaying correctly. When arriving at my destination, the georeferenced plate appeared (taking the usual 9-10 seconds) ‌ but then just before I was overhead, it froze, and I got a message along the lines of "SkyDemon is not responding". One‌‌‌ thing I used repeatedly throughout​ the flight and that always worked fine, was calling the radio frequencies window. ‌‌‌

T‌‌‌‌im, do you have any idea why this happening? Can you give us an idea if this will ever be‌‌‌‌ solved, and when?
SD‌ is marketed as an OS/Android/PC product, ‌‌‌but right now, though I‌ fully appreciate that SD is not certified and should not be relied on alone, flying with the Android version is a little nerve wracking.

Thank you‌, Alexis. 
By lfthomaz - 4/10/2017 7:38:05 AM

I completely agree with Alexis.
"B‌uy an iPad" is not a good option/excuse.‌ I‌f SD is officially supported in Android, it should work perfectly.
The SD team should make an effort to identify and correct this problem. I understand that is difficult to have all android devices to test, but if the problem is happening in different devices (that are more or less recent), it shouldn't be a hardware problem.
By judge - 4/10/2017 9:07:26 AM

I installed the beta 3.7.2 but not faster than before 
and Zoom in and out‌ started to react very slowly,
‌‌sorry guys...
s‌amsung Tab S2 (9.7)
By Tim Dawson - 4/10/2017 2:36:16 PM

Android is not as good as iOS. Even as it is, it takes us much more work to get SkyDemon for Android to be a similar standard to SkyDemon for iOS. I am happy to hear that the latest beta improves the speed issues that many people have been experiencing.

If you believe the latest beta is performing significantly worse than the latest public version (as a couple of people have indicated) please revert to the latest public version (you can install it from our website) and re-test to make sure.

By all means save $$$ by choosing Android over iOS, but please do not expect the same level of quality from the operating system.‌‌
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/10/2017 3:39:00 PM

Tim Dawson - 4/10/2017 2:36:16 PM
Android is not as good as iOS. Even as it is, it takes us much more work to get SkyDemon for Android to be a similar standard to SkyDemon for iOS. I am happy to hear that the latest beta improves the speed issues that many people have been experiencing.

If you believe the latest beta is performing significantly worse than the latest public version (as a couple of people have indicated) please revert to the latest public version (you can install it from our website) and re-test to make sure.

By all means save $$$ by choosing Android over iOS, but please do not expect the same level of quality from the operating system.‌‌

Sorry Tim, but why shouldn't we expect the same from your software on two platforms you sell it for, especially as the price for both version is the same? 

Cheers‌,
Alexis‌
By neubamat - 4/10/2017 6:31:18 PM

I'm suffering from this Android slowness as well. All my devices were Androids even before I bought SkyDemon.‌‌ New users aren't aware of this differences and will be disappointed by the performance (especially plates).

‌Tim, if solving this issues is not on your roadmap... please abandon Android or make it beta until you'd like to fix it. You should add this slowness to the known issues and warn potential users that the Android version is not as good as the iOS one.

‌Please‌‌ don't blame the OS. There are plenty of complex apps for Android that perform very well. It's the Xamarin framework that causes the performance issues and yes: it is expensive in terms of optimisation.

‌‌I know what I'm talking about, I'm a software engineer and did multiple complex apps for Android and iOS (native and Xamarin).
By lfthomaz - 4/11/2017 7:10:56 AM

Maybe you guys are more comfortable in developing for iOS, but it doesn't mean that "Android is not as good as iOS". A lot of good apps and games is available in both platforms and work as well in Android as in iOS.

‌‌Tim, if you are taking this approach of disregarding the Android app problem, then SD shouldn't be officially supported in Android (as suggested by neubamat).

If this is the line you're pursuing (which looks like from the anger in your last sentence), then Android users will be forced to go elsewhere...
I‌t's a shame though, because it's for me the best aviation app out there... ‌

H‌ope you guys reconsider!‌
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/11/2017 5:25:35 PM

judge - 4/10/2017 9:07:26 AM
I installed the beta 3.7.2 but not faster than before 
and Zoom in and out‌ started to react very slowly,
‌‌sorry guys...
s‌amsung Tab S2 (9.7)

In my experience, SD functions rather well in the beginning, (beta) but slows down the longer you use it, as if stuff was piling up somewhere, sort of cluttering the memory or processor. (I must stress here that I don't know anything about how computers work, this  is just me trying to express my impression).
I‌ ‌ have this impression because it seems that if I restart the tablet, SD immediately works better again (georeferenced charts apart).

T‌im,‌ are they tests I as a simple user could do that would help you identify what the problem is? 

Cheers‌,‌
Alexis‌
By Tim Dawson - 4/13/2017 4:18:47 PM

The vast majority of our Android users are not experiencing the slowness described by some users in this thread. Many of those experiencing slowness in this thread, in the latest public version, have confirmed an improvement in the current beta which reflects the direction the next version will take.
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/14/2017 4:58:11 AM

Tim Dawson - 4/13/2017 4:18:47 PM
The vast majority of our Android users are not experiencing the slowness described by some users in this thread. Many of those experiencing slowness in this thread, in the latest public version, have confirmed an improvement in the current beta which reflects the direction the next version will take.

Thanks‌ Tim for not giving up.
Cheers‌, Alexis
By lfthomaz - 4/18/2017 11:50:03 AM

That's a great clue, Paul!
‌They should be able to track down the change that is causing the performance problems.
By ZorgroZ - 5/7/2017 10:41:10 AM

I have a Motorola Moto G5 Plus and map panning and zooming is really sluggish.

‌‌I've tried different versions, including the baseline version posted above, with not much difference in performance. The latest current version (3.7.1) seems a little faster for me (albeit still slow), and the latest beta (3.8.0.22878) seems a little bit slower again.

‌‌‌Enabling "Force GPU rendering" also didn't improve performance.

‌On my 5-year old iPhone (which is otherwise super slow), Skydemon it's totally smooth.
By Paul_Sengupta - 3/14/2017 12:19:28 AM

What's changed in the latest version of Sky Demon for Android? I have SD loaded on a few of my Android tablets. The one I normally use in the aeroplane is a 2012 Nexus 7. I also have a 2013 Nexus 7 which I've now tasked for use in the aeroplane. The 2013 Nexus is set to auto update, and has updated Sky Demon to 3.7.1.28802.  Even on the faster Nexus, scrolling around the map or zooming in and out is now painfully slow and often locks up with the message "Sky Demon is not responding" or such. This also happens in the air, and it also seems to lock up for some seconds when you change direction. Luckily my 2012 Nexus is set to manual update and I haven't updated the app. I am on 3.7.0.27593. This works fine and the scrolling and zooming are ok.

A‌ friend who has as Asus 173 (same architecture as the 2012 Nexus 7) has auto update, it's updated and is barely useable on that.
‌‌‌
S‌o what did you do from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 and can it be undone?
By Tim Dawson - 4/4/2017 3:03:59 PM

And have you tried the latest beta?
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/4/2017 3:14:10 PM

Tim Dawson - 4/4/2017 3:03:59 PM

No I haven't where can i download it? I found the page of the website with all android previous version, but didn't find the beta version. 
Thanks‌. 
By Sky Painter - 4/4/2017 4:03:24 PM

alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/4/2017 3:14:10 PM

No I haven't where can i download it? I found the page of the website with all android previous version, but didn't find the beta version. 
Thanks‌. 

http://www.skydemon.aero/start/beta.aspx
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/5/2017 12:31:12 AM

alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/4/2017 3:14:10 PM

Thanks‌. 

I have downloaded the latest beta: what an improvement! Chart refresh is almost as fast as on my iPad! Brilliant, thanks!
On the other hand, the  georeferenced maps are still as slow as before to appear: it typically takes up to nine seconds on my tablet. 

Cheers‌‌, Alexis. 
By Paul_Sengupta - 4/7/2017 12:57:14 AM

Ok, downloaded the beta. It's an improvement....I would say it's probably mostly back to normal now, but after a while of scrolling around the maps it still slows down a fair bit. I think it's worse when there are a lot of features to be drawn, airspace wise. Had to have a bit of a scroll around to load all the map back in to speed it up, then then, as I say, keep scrolling around and it slowed down again. Maybe this isn't an issue when flying any more though, as it's faster than it was!
By FaRu1 - 4/14/2017 6:49:59 PM

alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/14/2017 4:58:11 AM
Tim Dawson - 4/13/2017 4:18:47 PM

Thanks‌ Tim for not giving up.
Cheers‌, Alexis

Unfortunately I have to confirm the extreme slowliness of the latest public SD version. So far SD was not fast on Android tablets, but it worked in a stable manner. The latest version is simply unusable for me. My SD program hung up with screen freezes for several times in mid air and I have to say that this is unacceptable. I downloaded the beta version and will test it.
‌And that only few Android devices should be affected  ... hmm, are you sure? ... how about making a poll among the Android users, the flying season has started, hence more and more people will be using it. 
Please continue improving the Android version ... else you may lose a large portion of the Android community and that would be a shame, since the product functionality is so good. But before changing to IOS, I would rather look for another software (and not for price reasons).

By Paul_Sengupta - 4/15/2017 11:01:20 AM

Tim Dawson - 4/10/2017 2:36:16 PM

The operating system worked ok with Sky Demon 3.7.0.27593....

T‌he beta is better (!) than the latest full release, but as mentioned, both the release reversion and the beta version‌ slow down as they're used, as mentioned, like something is filling up. This didn't happen in 3.7.0 as far as I remember.

I‌'ve found another problem with the Beta, it crashes when you bring up a Metar.‌
By Paul_Sengupta - 4/17/2017 11:37:52 PM

I needed the METARs today, so I (over a 4G connection) re-installed 3.7.0, the last known "good" fast map version.

W‌orked a treat! Was fast on my 2013 Nexus with Android 4.4.something.

S‌o something's gone wrong from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 and isn't quite fixed in 3.7.2‌‌.
By Tim Dawson - 4/18/2017 11:48:28 AM

FaRu1, we have tens of thousands of Android users. If something is fundamentally broken, we soon know about it.

The nature of Android is that there are many different devices out there, many of which have slightly tweaked versions of Android on them written by the vendor of the device. That is why we sometimes see different performance problems and other different issues on Android, usually isolated to a particular vendor, device, Android version or combination of the three. That is the most common reason why somebody would experience an issue on Android where they wouldn't on iOS.

We will release another Android beta later this week. ‌‌
By alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 6/1/2017 9:21:35 PM

Tim Dawson - 4/18/2017 11:48:28 AM
FaRu1, we have tens of thousands of Android users. If something is fundamentally broken, we soon know about it.

The nature of Android is that there are many different devices out there, many of which have slightly tweaked versions of Android on them written by the vendor of the device. That is why we sometimes see different performance problems and other different issues on Android, usually isolated to a particular vendor, device, Android version or combination of the three. That is the most common reason why somebody would experience an issue on Android where they wouldn't on iOS.

We will release another Android beta later this week. ‌‌

I have been using the 3.8.0 version on 4 separate flights, ranging from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours, and SD performed brilliantly! Not a hitch. The only small thing  (I can live with), is the slowness of the georeferenced plates displaying.

Thanks‌ Tim and your team for not giving up!
Cheers,
Alexisi‌‌