Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Latest Android Sky Demon slow

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Android is not as good as iOS. Even as it is, it takes us much more work to get SkyDemon for Android to be a similar standard to SkyDemon for iOS. I am happy to hear that the latest beta improves the speed issues that many people have been experiencing.

If you believe the latest beta is performing significantly worse than the latest public version (as a couple of people have indicated) please revert to the latest public version (you can install it from our website) and re-test to make sure.

By all means save $$$ by choosing Android over iOS, but please do not expect the same level of quality from the operating system.‌‌
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/10/2017 2:36:16 PM
Android is not as good as iOS. Even as it is, it takes us much more work to get SkyDemon for Android to be a similar standard to SkyDemon for iOS. I am happy to hear that the latest beta improves the speed issues that many people have been experiencing.

If you believe the latest beta is performing significantly worse than the latest public version (as a couple of people have indicated) please revert to the latest public version (you can install it from our website) and re-test to make sure.

By all means save $$$ by choosing Android over iOS, but please do not expect the same level of quality from the operating system.‌‌

Sorry Tim, but why shouldn't we expect the same from your software on two platforms you sell it for, especially as the price for both version is the same? 

Cheers‌,
Alexis‌

neubamat
n
Too Much Forum (594 reputation)Too Much Forum (594 reputation)Too Much Forum (594 reputation)Too Much Forum (594 reputation)Too Much Forum (594 reputation)Too Much Forum (594 reputation)Too Much Forum (594 reputation)Too Much Forum (594 reputation)Too Much Forum (594 reputation)
I'm suffering from this Android slowness as well. All my devices were Androids even before I bought SkyDemon.‌‌ New users aren't aware of this differences and will be disappointed by the performance (especially plates).

‌Tim, if solving this issues is not on your roadmap... please abandon Android or make it beta until you'd like to fix it. You should add this slowness to the known issues and warn potential users that the Android version is not as good as the iOS one.

‌Please‌‌ don't blame the OS. There are plenty of complex apps for Android that perform very well. It's the Xamarin framework that causes the performance issues and yes: it is expensive in terms of optimisation.

‌‌I know what I'm talking about, I'm a software engineer and did multiple complex apps for Android and iOS (native and Xamarin).

Edited 4/10/2017 6:31:18 PM by neubamat
Leandro Ferrari
Leandro Ferrari
Too Much Forum (864 reputation)Too Much Forum (864 reputation)Too Much Forum (864 reputation)Too Much Forum (864 reputation)Too Much Forum (864 reputation)Too Much Forum (864 reputation)Too Much Forum (864 reputation)Too Much Forum (864 reputation)Too Much Forum (864 reputation)
Maybe you guys are more comfortable in developing for iOS, but it doesn't mean that "Android is not as good as iOS". A lot of good apps and games is available in both platforms and work as well in Android as in iOS.

‌‌Tim, if you are taking this approach of disregarding the Android app problem, then SD shouldn't be officially supported in Android (as suggested by neubamat).

If this is the line you're pursuing (which looks like from the anger in your last sentence), then Android users will be forced to go elsewhere...
I‌t's a shame though, because it's for me the best aviation app out there... ‌

H‌ope you guys reconsider!‌
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)
judge - 4/10/2017 9:07:26 AM
I installed the beta 3.7.2 but not faster than before 
and Zoom in and out‌ started to react very slowly,
‌‌sorry guys...
s‌amsung Tab S2 (9.7)

In my experience, SD functions rather well in the beginning, (beta) but slows down the longer you use it, as if stuff was piling up somewhere, sort of cluttering the memory or processor. (I must stress here that I don't know anything about how computers work, this  is just me trying to express my impression).
I‌ ‌ have this impression because it seems that if I restart the tablet, SD immediately works better again (georeferenced charts apart).

T‌im,‌ are they tests I as a simple user could do that would help you identify what the problem is? 

Cheers‌,‌
Alexis‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
The vast majority of our Android users are not experiencing the slowness described by some users in this thread. Many of those experiencing slowness in this thread, in the latest public version, have confirmed an improvement in the current beta which reflects the direction the next version will take.
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Tim Dawson - 4/13/2017 4:18:47 PM
The vast majority of our Android users are not experiencing the slowness described by some users in this thread. Many of those experiencing slowness in this thread, in the latest public version, have confirmed an improvement in the current beta which reflects the direction the next version will take.

Thanks‌ Tim for not giving up.
Cheers‌, Alexis

FaRu1
FaRu1
Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)
alexis.hellen@gmail.com - 4/14/2017 4:58:11 AM
Tim Dawson - 4/13/2017 4:18:47 PM

Thanks‌ Tim for not giving up.
Cheers‌, Alexis

Unfortunately I have to confirm the extreme slowliness of the latest public SD version. So far SD was not fast on Android tablets, but it worked in a stable manner. The latest version is simply unusable for me. My SD program hung up with screen freezes for several times in mid air and I have to say that this is unacceptable. I downloaded the beta version and will test it.
‌And that only few Android devices should be affected  ... hmm, are you sure? ... how about making a poll among the Android users, the flying season has started, hence more and more people will be using it. 
Please continue improving the Android version ... else you may lose a large portion of the Android community and that would be a shame, since the product functionality is so good. But before changing to IOS, I would rather look for another software (and not for price reasons).

Paul_Sengupta
P
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/10/2017 2:36:16 PM

The operating system worked ok with Sky Demon 3.7.0.27593....

T‌he beta is better (!) than the latest full release, but as mentioned, both the release reversion and the beta version‌ slow down as they're used, as mentioned, like something is filling up. This didn't happen in 3.7.0 as far as I remember.

I‌'ve found another problem with the Beta, it crashes when you bring up a Metar.‌

Paul_Sengupta
P
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
I needed the METARs today, so I (over a 4G connection) re-installed 3.7.0, the last known "good" fast map version.

W‌orked a treat! Was fast on my 2013 Nexus with Android 4.4.something.

S‌o something's gone wrong from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 and isn't quite fixed in 3.7.2‌‌.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search