Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Runway directions

Author
DA40
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
First of all, Sky Demon is overall a great product!

However, there is one thing that I think should be changed:
In PC-version:
When you right click on an airfield you can choose the option "information".
When you choose Information you get a description of the airfield with frequencies and runway information.
The depiction of the runway direction is not oriented relative to north, which is very confusing.

An example:
EKSJO / Ranneslatt (ESMC)

The text below the picture is correct, Runway 01/19

But the picture above the textual information shows the runway direction 280/100, which is very confusing.
If you change the orientation of the layout by 90 degrees, the runway direction will be ok, but the text will be hard to read.....

It is the same on all airfields, at least in Sweden.

I went back to an earlier version of SD (3.5.0.0), and in that version the presentation of airfield information is correct.

Skydemon is probably the only provider of airport information that doesn´t orient map (background) layouts to north.
Compare with Jeppesen layout, i e plates depicting runway direction is always on a map (background) which is oriented to north.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
We orientate airfield diagrams either north up or west up depending upon how they'll best fit on the page, allowing the most other information to also be displayed.
DA40
DA40
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/20/2017 10:30:39 AM
We orientate airfield diagrams either north up or west up depending upon how they'll best fit on the page, allowing the most other information to also be displayed.

But if you use landscape layout, you could have the airfield diagram on the left side, always north up, and the other textual information on the right side?

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
I also find it confusing to view an airfield diagram in anything but north up orientation. Given the fact that there isn't much information contained in the chart (it's mostly just a line showing the runway orientation) it wouldn't hurt much to show a slightly shorter line but in the "correct" orientation.

-- Chris.‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
For this airfield, you're right. For others, this isn't the case. We have a lot of different airfield orientations and a lot of user requirements to cater for, and we do the best we can.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Tim, at least put a very prominent compass rose or north pointing arrow on the page.
Apparently you have situations in mind in which a north-up orientation wouldn't work in a portrait layout. Can you post an example?

Thanks, -- Chris.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The example in the original post is quite a good one. A simple airfield with a roughly north-south runway, displayed north up on a portrait airfield chart, looks really silly. It's just a thin featureless runway taking up the whole of the page, with the useful textual information then forced onto the next page. It's an appalling use of space.
DA40
DA40
Tim Dawson - 2/28/2017 11:34:16 AM
The example in the original post is quite a good one. A simple airfield with a roughly north-south runway, displayed north up on a portrait airfield chart, looks really silly. It's just a thin featureless runway taking up the whole of the page, with the useful textual information then forced onto the next page. It's an appalling use of space.

First of all, I don´t understand why the layuot should be portrait.
Why not always use landscape instead? Easier to handle when you are flying, just fold the paper and you will have airfield diagram on one side, always north up and the text info on the other side.
Talking about airfield chart that´s looks silly, here´s an example of that.
ESMC Kristianstad, runway direction 01/19, asphalt runway 2215 mtrs.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Why not always use landscape? I don't know, you'd have to ask half of our customers who are very happy with portrait.

I'm afraid I do not understand what looks silly about the example you gave. You have in fact chosen two portrait sheets of A5 arranged on a landscape A4 sheet, so you're using portrait.‌
DA40
DA40
Tim Dawson - 3/1/2017 3:35:50 PM
Why not always use landscape? I don't know, you'd have to ask half of our customers who are very happy with portrait.

I'm afraid I do not understand what looks silly about the example you gave. You have in fact chosen two portrait sheets of A5 arranged on a landscape A4 sheet, so you're using portrait.‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search