Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Problem with opening terminal charts from AIP-Germany

Author
Mike Stueber
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hallo guys,
I'm using an iPad mini 1 with iOS 9.3.5 .
All works fine and SkyDemon is running without problems.
I can open very large pdf-files (not using SkyDemon) without problems).‌

But now the following problem occurs:
When opening e.g. "EDDS Terminal chart" the pdf doesn't open and the screen is going to black.
The same with the terminal charts of EDDF and EDDH.
When I open the arrival-charts of the international airports, the pdf opens and all is fine up to the moment I'm zooming in very intensive.
In all other cases the documents of the smaller airfields I can handle without problem. Zooming in- and out occurs no crashes.
Is someone still using iPad mini 1 and the German AIP and can try it out?
Many thanks
Kind regards,
Mike‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌
Edited 1/25/2017 2:56:34 PM by Mike Stueber
matthiasr
m
Too Much Forum (243 reputation)Too Much Forum (243 reputation)Too Much Forum (243 reputation)Too Much Forum (243 reputation)Too Much Forum (243 reputation)Too Much Forum (243 reputation)Too Much Forum (243 reputation)Too Much Forum (243 reputation)Too Much Forum (243 reputation)
Hi,

‌I too am still using an iPad Mini 1. I just checked and I have the identical behavior.

‌If I copy the PDF to iBooks, iBooks actually crashes when trying to open it -- so I guess the black, grey, black, loading... cycle we see in SD is just SD repeatedly trying to open the PDF.

‌Unfortunately, this looks like we have to shop for a new iPad in the near-to-mid future..

‌Best regards
‌Matthias

‌EDIT: Low memory warning/crash in the iPad log...

Edited 2/1/2017 5:01:33 PM by matthiasr
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
There are some very large and complex PDFs published by DFS, particularly the VFR terminal charts. On iOS it's the operating system which performs the actual PDF rendering (it's very good at it) so if it cannot cope, then unfortunately there's nothing we can do from the SkyDemon side and a new tablet may be on the cards. On the plus side, you'll be delighted with the performance improvement coming from an original iPad Mini to the latest one.
Mike Stueber
Mike Stueber
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/2/2017 10:33:27 AM
There are some very large and complex PDFs published by DFS, particularly the VFR terminal charts. On iOS it's the operating system which performs the actual PDF rendering (it's very good at it) so if it cannot cope, then unfortunately there's nothing we can do from the SkyDemon side and a new tablet may be on the cards. On the plus side, you'll be delighted with the performance improvement coming from an original iPad Mini to the latest one.

Mike Stueber
Mike Stueber
Tim Dawson - 2/2/2017 10:33:27 AM

Hi Tim,
at first many thanks for your answer.
For my opinion, it's not a question of the size of the file. I can handle very more large pdf-files and have no problems. When I send the pdf-file from EDDH (arrival chart) per mail and open it on my iPad mini 1, there is no problem. I can zoom in and out and move the map, no problems. The problem only occurs, when I open the file from SkyDemon and zoom in very strong. There must be a difference between opening a pdf-file  e.g. from ADOBE or from SkyDemon. Perhaps you could be so nice and think over this once more.

Many thanks,
Mike‌‌‌‌
berndalfred
b
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
The same problem wichtig a Samsung Galaxy Tab s2.

Best‌ regards
Bernd‌‌
berndalfred
b
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
berndalfred - 2/2/2017 5:29:32 PM
The same problem wichtig a Samsung Galaxy Tab s2.

Best‌ regards
Bernd‌‌

The same problem with a Samsung Galaxy Tab s2.

Best‌ regards
Bernd‌‌
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Mike, do you mean opening the PDF fullscreen, or opening its georeferenced map embedded in our chart?
Mike Stueber
Mike Stueber
Tim Dawson - 2/3/2017 11:09:11 AM
Hi Tim,
Mike, do you mean opening the PDF fullscreen, or opening its georeferenced map embedded in our chart?

Hi Tim,
very attentive of you, thanks.
Indeed, the problem only occurs when opening the PDF fullscreen, not when I open the embedded chart.
Worst of all charts (which I found up to this moment) is ‌‌‌the "aerodrome Chart" of EDDH. It's impossible to open the fullscreen chart, only the embedded.
The arrival chart is better. It's possible to open the fullscreen chart but by zooming in the problem occurs.‌
I wrote, when I'm sending the fullscreen chart‌ by mail I have no problems.
Perhaps you will find out the reason.

Many thanks.
Regards,
Mike‌‌‌‌‌

Mike Stueber
Mike Stueber
Tim Dawson - 2/3/2017 11:09:11 AM
Hi Tim,

Hi Tim,
very attentive of you, thanks.
Indeed, the problem only occurs when opening the PDF fullscreen, not when I open the embedded chart.
Worst of all charts (which I found up to this moment) is ‌‌‌the "aerodrome Chart" of EDDH. It's impossible to open the fullscreen chart, only the embedded.
The arrival chart is better. It's possible to open the fullscreen chart but by zooming in the problem occurs.‌
I wrote, when I'm sending the fullscreen chart‌ by mail I have no problems.
Perhaps you will find out the reason.

Many thanks.
Regards,
Mike‌‌‌‌‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore