Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Colour and size of traffic

Author
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@piperpa28,

I also use SkyDemon on an iPad Mini.

Are you aware that you can already increase the Text Size of the Aircraft Details up to 150% of the original size. This option is in the ‘Mapping’ Dropdown (the ‘layer of papers’ symbol at the extreme lower right of the main screen).

Although I haven’t had significant difficulty seeing the aircraft symbols themselves, I would support an option to be able to increase their size by a similar proportion to the text, though we need to be very careful that they don’t start to obscure more important information.

With regard to colour, the aircraft symbols already change from white to green, yellow, then red if / when they present a higher risk to your aircraft, so any change to base colour would have to maintain effective contrast so as not to detract from this warning function.

Also no objection from me to an option to display aircraft using ATC / TCAS symbols as long as it is an option, not the default.

Finally, @ Tim D... I don’t recollect seeing the large white circle round Ownship (though it has been several months since I have flown). What does it indicate and is this specific to the Stratux FLARM Traffic Source?

Best Regards

Peter
Edited 2/26/2021 4:43:44 PM by Peter Robertson
DarkStar
DarkStar
Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)Too Much Forum (786 reputation)
Another Skydemon user here who has recently bought a SkyEcho 2  ( thank you Department for Transport rebate  !  )  Colour change for targets generated by the SE2 would be welcomed........  perhaps Yellow at 4 nm turning to red at 2 miles ?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
People asking for a colour change as traffic gets closer or becomes more of a threat: that's the way it already works.

Peter, I don't know what the white circle is either. I don't think we have such a thing in SkyDemon.

Maverix
M
Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)
I also would prefer a customizable size for the text next to targets and bearingless circles.
Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
@Maverix

As per my post above, you can already vary the text size of the traffic details between 50% and 150% of the default.
Maverix
M
Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)
Peter Robertson - 3/5/2021 10:04:14 PM
@MaverixAs per my post above, you can already vary the text size of the traffic details between 50% and 150% of the default.

Thanks for your reply.

But only the text size for all details and not specific for the traffic details, right?

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
@Maverix

True, but if you need the traffic text larger (or smaller) surely the same applies to all the other text as well?

As I get ever older and need stronger glasses for close work, I can see less and less need for a reduction from the default (which I have never used) and could certainly make a valid case for a greater text size increase than 150%, though we need to be careful not to get to the situation where it obstructs essential detail on the chart below. Perhaps a modest tweak to text size to allow a range of say 75% to 175% of default would be a sensible and reasonable solution. Thoughts everyone....

Best Regards

Peter
Maverix
M
Peter Robertson - 3/6/2021 7:34:30 AM
@MaverixTrue, but if you need the traffic text larger (or smaller) surely the same applies to all the other text as well?As I get ever older and need stronger glasses for close work, I can see less and less need for a reduction from the default (which I have never used) and could certainly make a valid case for a greater text size increase than 150%, though we need to be careful not to get to the situation where it obstructs essential detail on the chart below. Perhaps a modest tweak to text size to allow a range of say 75% to 175% of default would be a sensible and reasonable solution. Thoughts everyone....Best RegardsPeter

For me it is much more important to see the level of the foreign targets than the name of the city I am flying over....

Peter Baier
Peter Baier
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
When flying VFR, name of the game is: Keep your damn eyeballs out of the cockpit - see and be seen!
The more time we spend to find traffic on a screen, which is already cluttered with map and other data, the more this could in the end have deadly consequences. This is the reason, why professionals prefer an easy to read, one glimpse to catch traffic warning display.
Therefore I still propose to have some simple mechanism to get the pilots attraction, provide a clear cut simple to interpret indication where to train the eyeballs on and how imminent the danger is. The earlier relevant warnings come, the better dangerous situations can be deconflicted. The way SD provides this service is already quite elaborated and of help, but as usual, the is room for improvement.

Therefore I propose a combination of audio alerts when conflicting traffic presents in yellow or red (should be really noisy when status changes to red), the flashing presentation of this relevant traffic on an easy to read pop-up screen (eventually HSI), which remains on top of the display until a) acknowledged by the pilot (i.e. tally-ho) in typical SD fashion or b) situation is deconflicted due to appropriate action.
Your thoughts?

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Hi Peter B,

Audio warnings are (quite rightly) the primary means of bringing conflicting traffic to our attention. These are backed up by the fact that in most instances the presence of traffic will already have been picked up during Visual Scan of the ‘instruments’ when it is further out - often well before it comes in visual range. We also already have the colour changes as the risk gets greater.

We have to be careful with picking colours to ensure they are clearly visible against the background even by those who may have minor colour vision issues and care must also be taken with flashing symbols as these can induce issues such as epilepsy with anyone (pilots or passengers) who might be susceptible to this type of ailment (but might not even be aware of this).

There certainly may be a case for ‘auto-enlarging’ the symbol for traffic when it turns Red, to draw attention to it, but other than that, IMO the current system works pretty well.

Regards
Peter R
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search