Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Colour and size of traffic

Author
Peter Baier
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Peter Robertson - 3/11/2021 4:44:36 PM
Hi Peter B,Audio warnings are (quite rightly) the primary means of bringing conflicting traffic to our attention. These are backed up by the fact that in most instances the presence of traffic will already have been picked up during Visual Scan of the ‘instruments’ when it is further out - often well before it comes in visual range. We also already have the colour changes as the risk gets greater.We have to be careful with picking colours to ensure they are clearly visible against the background even by those who may have minor colour vision issues and care must also be taken with flashing symbols as these can induce issues such as epilepsy with anyone (pilots or passengers) who might be susceptible to this type of ailment (but might not even be aware of this).There certainly may be a case for ‘auto-enlarging’ the symbol for traffic when it turns Red, to draw attention to it, but other than that, IMO the current system works pretty well.RegardsPeter R

Hi Peter,
IMHO pilots with epilepsy or tendencies to this sort of ailment do not belong into the cockpit of any airplane, and having avoided an epileptic attack with my passenger but encountering a mid-air instead - what is more desirable? Look at a simple FLARM indicator in a glider: When things get rough, this little bastard screems and blinks like hell to wake you up... and that's the purpose of all of this.
Maybe I am old fashioned, but when flying VFR I spend 80 to 90% of my time heads up, 5% on the map (paper) and the remaining time on instruments, displays and passenger. This was proven concept to survive 45 years in all sorts of close-to-the-ground and f**g fast speed missions - I love simple, but effective triggers which need no interpretation time, and the older I get, the more I prefer it just like that ;-)
Regards
Peter

Maverix
M
Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)
Tim,

please make the traffic text size adjustable and everbody is happy.

Kai

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
One improvement of the latest beta:

- When flying with a traffic receiver the level of other traffic has been made bold, so it's easier to read

Thank you, Tim, I really appreciate this change. Flew yesterday and a lot of non-bearing traffic was in the air. Made life a lot easier.

Eric

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search