Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Trajectory Display: distinction between Time ahead / Distance ahead unclear.

Trajectory Display: distinction between Time ahead / Distance ahead...
Author
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Adding a visual hint would be useful since I absolutely never remember which setting I use, but adding values on markers would be even better. The way some competitors are showing this information is what I'm missing the very most on SD.

M‌‌
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
I'm not really against any of these proposals, but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of our users seem happy with the way it is, which would always make us very reluctant to change it.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
This is not really on my SD Wishlist, but if the idea were to be implemented, how about changing the trajectory line fill colour according to the chosen setting. For instance, leave it as it is (white) for time ahead, and change it to blue for distance ahead. Just my two cent's worth.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
I'm afraid such a change would result immediately in a flood of emails and telephone calls from people asking why their trajectory line had turned blue. That's just the way it is for us when we make such a change.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)
What about having time ahead on one side of the line and distance ahead on the other. The preferences setting then determines which side sets the length of the line while the other side adjusts to this.

-- Chris.‌‌

MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Sky Painter - 11/14/2016 11:34:39 AM
This is not really on my SD Wishlist, but if the idea were to be implemented, how about changing the trajectory line fill colour according to the chosen setting. For instance, leave it as it is (white) for time ahead, and change it to blue for distance ahead. Just my two cent's worth.

H‌i,

I‌n my opinion, it does not really solve the issue. A color has not enough meaning by itself I'm afraid ("ok, it' blue but ... what is blue for ? I can't remember").

A‌s regards the marker (D / T), to me it's not valuable enough if you can't say immediately "this marker is for 5 minutes ahead"‌. Yesterday, I've added a reminder on my kneeboard to make sure I can take advantage of those markers (setting & meaning).

M‌‌

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Chris, great idea having both indications on the trajectory line. One thing I'd change is not having a preferences setting.

Just let the length of the trajectory line be determined by either time or distance, whichever is longer.

Regards

Eric
daerden
daerden
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Shifu - 11/17/2016 8:06:16 AM
The time-or-distance discussion is as old as radio in aircraft and we will not solve it here. I sometimes wonder how many real airmen piloting real aircraft by hand are posting here, maybe we can put the information in the profile and No, I will not add to the discussion whether flight time under A/P counts as PIC.

‌My 2 cents, when do I need distance? When I am heading to a specific point on the chart. That specific point is usually one of some importance to me flightpath and therefore most likely a waypoint. If it is a waypoint, I do get the ETE NXT and DST NXT shown on the top insert in SD and don't need any ahead markers. Prime directive of an airmen is "to fly the machine" and ground distances on charts are meaningless at first glance. So, to me timing is of much more importance, consequently I always have the ahead marker set on times. I don't want more labels wandering the screen, they are distracting and frankly, if you can't remember the values of three little fixed ticks, how do you remember how to fly?

‌Removing the option for 'distance' on the trajectory line will indeed remove all doubt and solve the problem. However, currently, the two settings are available. And two different data sets should never be depicted exactly the same way. It's confusing, and confusion leads to errors.

Edited 11/17/2016 4:06:56 PM by daerden
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
Shifu - 11/17/2016 8:06:16 AM
‌My 2 cents, when do I need distance? When I am heading to a specific point on the chart. That specific point is usually one of some importance to me flightpath and therefore most likely a waypoint. If it is a waypoint, I do get the ETE NXT and DST NXT shown on the top insert in SD and don't need any ahead markers.‌

Being honest, I rarely use the markers at all, but there are two occasions when I might:

1‌. Time markers to estimate the rate of descent required to remain clear of controlled airspace ahead - 1000ft in 5 minutes = 200ft/min ROD
2‌. Distance markers to estimate the point to call on the radio when required to "call with 10 miles to run"‌ but with a mandatory VRP in my flight plan closer to the destination

‌‌In both cases there are other ways in SkyDemon to achieve the similar results using the vertical profile or the "Dist Dest" instrument, but a quick glance at the double-sided trajectory line proposed earlier would be easier, and less confusing than the current single-sided dual-mode trajactory line which is invariably and (critically) invisibly in the "wrong" mode whenever it is needed. ‌
efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
I use the markers nearly everytime I'm approaching an airfield for landing. We are requested to contact the field 5 mins prior to landing, but report xx miles out.

My preferences setting is time, meaning I have to 'guesstimate' the distance or take other action on my iPad's display, which would detract me from looking out in the vicinity of a landing site, which is not my preference.

Regards

Eric
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search