Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Trajectory Display: distinction between Time ahead / Distance ahead unclear.

Trajectory Display: distinction between Time ahead / Distance ahead...
Author
daerden
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The Trajectory Display can be set to 'Time ahead 2-5-10 minutes' and 'Distance ahead 2-5-10nm', which is great: I love to inform ATC that I am '5 minutes west of VOR'.

‌However, the depiction of the markers for both settings is exactly the same, which may lead to confusion or (dangerous?) errors.
‌I would prefer a 'min.' or 'nm' next to the trajectory axis, so that I can see which setting is active. Optionally, the numbers 2-5-10 could equally be added next to their marker?

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
daerden - 11/10/2016 5:44:46 PM
The Trajectory Display can be set to 'Time ahead 2-5-10 minutes' and 'Distance ahead 2-5-10nm', which is great: I love to inform ATC that I am '5 minutes west of VOR'.

‌However, the depiction of the markers for both settings is exactly the same, which may lead to confusion or (dangerous?) errors.
‌I would prefer a 'min.' or 'nm' next to the trajectory axis, so that I can see which setting is active. Optionally, the numbers 2-5-10 could equally be added next to their marker?

Not a bad idea. I, myself, had to go look in the setup which one I had set. I keep forgetting.... Now we only have to come up with a clever way to make this distinction‌‌.

-- Chris.‌‌

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Same with me! I couldn't remember what I had selected.
Tony ‌
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Surely you have a preference and you set it once? Under what circumstances do you need to frequently change this setting?
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)
tnowak - 11/11/2016 8:43:03 AM
Same with me! I couldn't remember what I had selected.
Tony ‌

Great idea, specially with the numbers aside or in the line gives no confusion.
daerden
daerden
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 11/11/2016 10:41:14 AM
Surely you have a preference and you set it once? Under what circumstances do you need to frequently change this setting?

When approaching my destination, I like to know how far away I am (this allows me to better plan my descent: 'I am 5nm out, so better start my decent'). I'm committed to landing anyway, so ETA is less of an issue. Also, speed may vary considerably when on landing-approach, so the time-ahead markers will contract and expand at such a rate that they become useless.
‌When navigating (and communicating with ATC), I feel that projected-time-to-waypoint is more useful than distance-to-waypoint (information that is available anyway in the log). Navigating is usually done at near constant speed, so the time projection is pretty solid. Regardless of personal preference, the UI should remove all doubt about which information is shown, no?

Edited 11/11/2016 2:32:04 PM by daerden
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Yes, but a UI that removes all doubt from every little thing is an unusable UI.

Have you considered using the V‌‌irtual Radar instrument at the bottom of the screen to give you both distance and time to targets ahead of you? It should be easy to read both off it, as you've got the time-based trajectory line and a quick tap anywhere on it gives you both the distance and time to that point.
daerden
daerden
Tim Dawson - 11/11/2016 2:50:32 PM
Yes, but a UI that removes all doubt from every little thing is an unusable UI.

Have you considered using the V‌‌irtual Radar instrument at the bottom of the screen to give you both distance and time to targets ahead of you? It should be easy to read both off it, as you've got the time-based trajectory line and a quick tap anywhere on it gives you both the distance and time to that point.

That is indeed a good tip, but I would consider it a work-around (as it requires my touch/input). What is so great about the trajectory line is that it allows anticipating an event better: you just see the 5min marker slowly approaching and when it's there - at that very moment - you react (contact ATC). I frequently switch settings - even in-flight -, hence my need for easy depiction of the setting. But I would accept that I'd be considered an outlier: other pilots might just set it once and leave it be.

Edited 11/11/2016 3:22:50 PM by daerden
pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
One idea to have a visual hint and not clutter the screen to much would be to keep the symbol as it now, it looks like three "T" stacked up. T being for time.
And only replace the small bars with something‌ rounded like the letter D for distance.
Sorry, my computer painting skills are not that good.

‌‌
Mike@EDTG
Mike@EDTG
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
I set it once, but that´s maybe only me. What do you think about a little icon depicting a 'watch' or a 'ruler' next to origin of the trajectory display for the people which are in doubt.

-mike‌‌

Edited 11/13/2016 11:21:39 AM by Mike@EDTG
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search