Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature request: Current elevation

Author
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!

When doing any low-level flying, I often find myself wondering what my height is, though am keenly aware of the potential error in GPS altitude and therefore am reluctant to trust the 'Height' readout at the top of the screen.  To account for this, I find myself flicking between Altitude and Height at the top of the screen, subtracting the difference in my head, and then comparing that to my (theoretically more accurate) pressure altimeter.

Would it be possible to simply add a third option to that box for 'Elevation' that shows the terrain elevation for the current GPS position?  Presumably you're fetching it anyway to calculate height...  If it's not in demand, maybe an option to enable/disable the feature?

Edited 8/23/2016 2:45:11 PM by Gax
MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Hi,

What about height mode, as described on page 71 of http://www.skydemon.aero/help/manual.pdf ?

M
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
That still uses GPS altitude to assess height above terrain, which is unreliable without WAAS. I just want to know current terrain elevation so I can assess my own terrain clearance with reference to the aircraft's pressure altimeter.
Gax
G
I'm not looking for it to tell me true height, and I'm not expecting it to. I have a pressure instrument installed in the aircraft that I can get pressure altitude from - Why would I want to split screen with another app to tell me the pressure altitude when I can already see that?? Why are we talking about a TAWS??? That's not what I'm asking about.

All I'm looking for is the elevation of the terrain at the current GPS location, which is information SD already has because it already uses this number to calculate the GPS height figure. That's all. I already have max elevations on, but that still doesn't tell me the elevation at my current position and therefore isn't much good when you're flying down a valley.
Edited 8/24/2016 9:45:46 AM by Gax
Gax
G
To make it clearer, here's a use case:

I fly into Welsh valley for a bit of low level sightseeing. Hilltops either side are higher than me. I glance at my pressure altimeter and it says 2200 feet, but I don't know how high the ground is under me because I am not presented with any data that gives me the elevation.

Ideally, I could just tap the height/altitude box on SD's screen and it would tell me the elevation under me is 1500 feet. By comparing this to my aircraft's altimeter, I now know that I am approximately 700 feet AGL and therefore I know I just need to stay above 2000' to remain legal if I fly near a house.
Edited 8/24/2016 9:41:03 AM by Gax
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
An interesting idea. As far as I'm aware you're the only person to ask for this, which means it isn't likely we would add an ELEV option to that instrument any time soon.

Have you considered flicking it to altitude then back to height? That would let you check that your GPS altitude is the same as (or near enough to) your pressure altitude, and it is, you then know you can trust the height figure.
Gax
G
Yes, that is what I currently do, but it means a lot of constant tapping and an extra equation, and when flying low level I'd rather minimise the workload and keep both hands on controls. Would also be useful for a few of the air racers out there that need to maintain a certain minimum height.

I love SD, but find that getting any sort of current or spot elevations a frequent issue.

Is it something that could maybe be considered but turned off by default?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
Of course we will consider it, but I'm afraid we can't add stuff like this to SkyDemon unless lots of people want it. Hopefully other people will chime in with their feedback on this thread.
Gax
G
Fair enough! I'll ask around some other ppl and see what they think
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/24/2016 3:31:24 PM
Of course we will consider it, but I'm afraid we can't add stuff like this to SkyDemon unless lots of people want it. Hopefully other people will chime in with their feedback on this thread.

I can see one other use for an elevation instrument - to assist instructors during PFL sessions with judging the 500' point without relying on the notoriously inaccurate GPS altitude data.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search