Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature request: Current elevation

Author
l
Too Much Forum (190 reputation)Too Much Forum (190 reputation)Too Much Forum (190 reputation)Too Much Forum (190 reputation)Too Much Forum (190 reputation)Too Much Forum (190 reputation)Too Much Forum (190 reputation)Too Much Forum (190 reputation)Too Much Forum (190 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Tim Dawson - 4/16/2018 4:47:15 PM
Lars, SkyDemon does have a height reading. Simply touch the Altitude instrument to change it to Height. That isn't what this thread is about.

Man, this was embarrassing. Thanks for the clarification. 

Edited 4/16/2018 7:58:41 PM by lars667
ospreyleader
o
Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)
Was just planning a low level sortie around the Mach loop but found the contour height representation inadequate. I used to use a competitor flight planning application which overlayed routes onto the CAA 1/4 mil maps, which show contour lines. So my question is - can I download CAA maps onto SkyDemon
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)
No, you cannot.
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)
ospreyleader - 6/25/2018 5:22:26 PM
Was just planning a low level sortie around the Mach loop but found the contour height representation inadequate. I used to use a competitor flight planning application which overlayed routes onto the CAA 1/4 mil maps, which show contour lines. So my question is - can I download CAA maps onto SkyDemon

It used to in “the old days”, but the vector versions are much better for digital charts.

Have you downloaded the high-resolution terrain?
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
The high res terrain is good enough in most cases, but sometimes the contour lines would be more useful. Would it be possible to add (100ft??) contour lines as well as/instead of terrain shading in the map layers menu? I guess the data must already be present to create the terrain shading?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)
Anything is possible. What exactly would you use the contour lines for?
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/4/2018 10:51:07 AM
Anything is possible. What exactly would you use the contour lines for?

One immediate example occurs to me: it's much easier to find a saddle across a ridge of high ground using contour lines than using terrain shading.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Our new Terrain Colouring feature will make that obvious too, hopefully. Let's ship that then return to this debate.
Unblonde
U
Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)
Just to add that when I first started using Skydemon in anger last month, i also thought this was a missing feature - initially assumed that i just didn't know how to turn it on.

I've been using the Altitude minus height option, but would prefer the elevation option too.

The bigger thing I felt was missing was the ability to see spot elevations for other places i touch on the map - i was hoping to use it to check my saddle crossing height and to confirm my altimeter setting. To clarify, I was trying to match the view outside the window which included various peaks to the map, but comparing the height of the mountains (similar to me, higher, etc) to the points on the map. If the spot height was included in the what's here dialog, it would have made that easier.

Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)
I agree with Unblonde: Being able to determine ridge heights in mountainous areas is important for safety, as you need to ensure you have sufficient clearance (determined by wind speed) well before you get there. At the moment we’re forced to guess, but would be much easier and safer if we could just get the elevation quickly from What’s Here.
Edited 8/29/2018 6:35:17 AM by Gax
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search