Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature request: Current elevation

Author
guille
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
SemperFi - 11/18/2017 10:29:32 AM
Tim Dawson - 11/15/2017 12:20:11 PM
True, but that sounds like you want a feature only because your particular device isn't giving you a very good GPS altitude. Have you considered getting a device that gives you a better altitude? An external dedicated GPS would do so.

Only precision WAAS/EGNOS capable GPS would give you sufficient accuracy for heights.
‌Is there any external GPS for tablets certified WAAS7EGNOS? I somehow doubt.

I think there are some good ones (Garmin Glo and others), even if not certified, but in any case, as most pilots fly using barometric altitude, having the elevation combined with the barometric altitude seems to me the best solution. And I think it could be really easy to implement. 

Edited 11/19/2017 12:17:14 PM by guille
alvaro
alvaro
Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/24/2016 12:37:13 PM
An interesting idea. As far as I'm aware you're the only person to ask for this, which means it isn't likely we would add an ELEV option to that instrument any time soon.

Have you considered flicking it to altitude then back to height? That would let you check that your GPS altitude is the same as (or near enough to) your pressure altitude, and it is, you then know you can trust the height figure.

Hi all. Actually that’s not such a bad idea. It would be good to know the elevation of any random waypoints you place on the map. I’ll give you an example of why I need to know in my job the terrain elevation on the map. I work as a medical helicopter pilot (hems), and they call us to pick up an injured biker near the mountain. Before I get there I need to know the elevation of where he is, because that data will affect the performance of my helicopter drastically (Cat A or Cat B take off). If you could add a column in the PLOG with the selected waypoint elevation, it would be a huge improvement for helicopter operations.
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Hi alvaro

This thread is about the current elevation shown in-flight where altitude/height is shown in the data tape at the top of the screen, rather than spot elevation of a point on a map.

That said, I have previously made a separate post on a topic closer to what you're asking for that you might want to take a look at and comment on. The software does actually provide spot elevation provided:
a) you're on a tablet rather than a phone, and
b) there's some form of airspace above (so unlikely to show up if you're doing rescue in places like northwest Scotland etc).

I unfortunately never got a chance to get back to Tim re some layout suggestions, but that might be a good place to leave some thoughts:
http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic23406.aspx

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)SkyDemon Team (635K reputation)
We show airfield elevation in the PLOG when you're flying to an airfield. Perhaps if you're flying to a different kind of waypoint we should show the terrain elevation at that location instead. Would that be useful?
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
It could potentially be included alongside the recent addition of bearing and distance at the top of the "what's here" screen - That would be very useful. I look up spot elevations a lot, and is particularly useful in poor weather where you are restricted by the ceiling but want to know it you can clear a feature atva safe height
alvaro
alvaro
Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)Too Much Forum (350 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 11/22/2017 1:01:49 PM
We show airfield elevation in the PLOG when you're flying to an airfield. Perhaps if you're flying to a different kind of waypoint we should show the terrain elevation at that location instead. Would that be useful?

That would very useful, thank you. Right now I have to guess the elevation of the destination (not an airport) in the virtual radar window.
Best regards.
Alvaro
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
It would be a step in the right direction, but why is there so much resistance to making an existing instrument which toggles Alt/Hgt into a three-way Alt/Hgt/Elev instrument? The data obviously exists within the application, and since I suspect most users never move away from Alt anyway, the only people who will be affected are those who might want to use the extra information, with no need for extra config options or menu items to confuse people.
guille
guille
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
T67M - 11/22/2017 4:31:09 PM
It would be a step in the right direction, but why is there so much resistance to making an existing instrument which toggles Alt/Hgt into a three-way Alt/Hgt/Elev instrument? The data obviously exists within the application, and since I suspect most users never move away from Alt anyway, the only people who will be affected are those who might want to use the extra information, with no need for extra config options or menu items to confuse people.

The principal issue is when you fly at low altitude: example, there are many military corridors between 800 ft and 5 or 6000 feet. I can fly then between 500ft and 800ft. A lot of precision is then necessary. Even with a WAAS-EGNOSS device, it would be useful to know the elevation while flying.

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
guille - 11/22/2017 4:41:58 PM
T67M - 11/22/2017 4:31:09 PM

The principal issue is when you fly at low altitude: example, there are many military corridors between 800 ft and 5 or 6000 feet. I can fly then between 500ft and 800ft. A lot of precision is then necessary. Even with a WAAS-EGNOSS device, it would be useful to know the elevation while flying.

I know! I'm agreeing with you! I want to know why the is so much resistance to making a change to SkyDemon that a number of customers seem to think would be useful!

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)
Are you saying you look at your altimeter when flying 500 ft AGL? I am looking outside all the time at that altitude. No altimeter required and hence no elevation information.

-- Chris.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search