Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Different MSA on reverse legs

Author
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Tim Dawson - 6/28/2016 4:18:35 PM
That isn't always a great solution. For example on a long leg, it would typically be quite undesirable to have the entire leg's MSA adjusted for one obstacle that is very much on the outside of a turn at one end. Although I do agree that it's a little unintuitive to have only one leg affected by it.

We can't do anything immediately about this as it's part of a core part of code that we have no plans to touch in the next couple of weeks (we're quite busy). I'm open to suggestions on this thread as to the best way to treat such obstacles, though, so we can address the issue in the best way possible.

On the contrary, it would be quite desirable! There is no difference between an obstacle being outside of a straight track and outside of a turn. If you set up SD to compute the MSA based on obstacles a certain distance from your track, it doesn't matter if you're on a straight line or in a turn. If anything, it is more critical in the turn since you don't have any course guidance in the turn itself.

If you have a long leg and there is a significant obstacle near one end which affects the whole leg, you can insert intermediate waypoints. Again no difference between turns and straight tracks.

Also, from a regulatory point of view, there is a minimum altitude for night VFR which is based on obstacles a certain distance away. This distance apply equally in turns as it does in when flying in a straight line.
JanR
JanR
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Tim,

I would like to discuss again the calculation of the MSA. Please see attached screenshot.

The MSA for the first route section is given with 800 ft, although the obstacle (568 ft) is almost directly on the track.
I would expect the MSA to read 1.600 ft.

S‌ettings for safety margins are 500 ft / 5 NM (Terrain) and 1.000 ft / 5 NM (Obstacles).

P‌roposal: Virtually extend the track line by xx NMs to include the obstacles within the turn area for MSA calculation.
‌ ‌

‌‌
R‌egards
Jan
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
You are welcome to post a thread regarding this change in our Suggestions forum. I believe that we had at least one complaint in the past when we allowed an obstacle that the user deliberately planned to turn before, to greatly influence the MSA of both the before and after leg. I can see how you might want it to, but our behaviour has been consistent for quite a long time now.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search