Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Selection of ATIS frequencies

Author
Patrick
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

Twice, I've run into the situation now that SkyDemon provided me with an ATIS frequency that I couldn't readily tune into because it was lower than 118.000. Back on the ground, I figure now I could have used the NAV box to tune into that frequency rather then the COM radio. In flight, that didn't occur to me.

So it seems that if an aerodrome provides multiple ATIS frequencies (sometimes one of them in the lower freq band), SkyDemon will only present one of them (on the aerodrome information page, and the PLOG). If you check the PDF plates, you will find all frequencies.

I'm not sure if SkyDemon chooses one arbitrarily or what the logic is - but it would make sense IMO to either display all of them, or display one in the higher frequency band (i.e. > 118.000) if available.

The two examples I came across during flight were LJLJ and EDDK.

Regards

Patrick

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
That's absolutely right. The ATIS für LJLJ -- as given on the Visual Approach Chart -- is 128.175 MHz. In the Information section of SD it is listed as 112.700 MHz which is outside the COMM band. I don't have a NAV receiver in my aircraft, so based on that information I would be left hanging.

I have not found the frequency section of the PLOG particularly useful in SD, to the point that I stopped using it. I found important frequencies missing and others reported wrong. Otherwise a great product, but this feature needs some fine tuning.

-- Chris.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
A great point, thanks. I am investigating.
In the meantime, is the range of "tuneable" VHF frequencies actually published anywhere?
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
The vhf aviation comm band extends from 118.000 through 136.975 MHz as per international standard. Just below that, from 108.000 up to 117.950 MHz is the band used for nav installations such as VORs, LOCs and ILSs.

-- Chris.

P.S.: As a good entry point, you can use Wikipedia and the references given therein.
Edited 10/13/2014 6:15:10 PM by ckurz7000
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
There's more than one thing we could do about this.
The trouble is, many pilots are very happy to tune in their NAV box to listen to an ATIS while their COM box remains tuned in to an actual comms frequency. But evidently (judging from the post above) many are not.
So, for airfields which have two ATIS frequencies, one in the COM band and one in the NAV band, we could conceivably show only the COM one, or show both frequencies and leave it to pilots to choose which one to use.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Show both would be my choice.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
In the short term (because we have a chart update this week) that is what we have done. It may be that we can do more, for example to highlight visually the fact that one is in the NAV frequency band, but that may not be necessary.
Patrick
Patrick
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
Thanks a lot, Tim!

Just checked this for the two examples above and now it's showing both frequencies.

I'd agree there's no more that should be done about this. Providing both available frequencies is just stating the facts - let the pilots choose the one they prefer.

Thanks again and keep up the impressive work! Love how you guys are putting so much effort and spirit into this great product.

Cheers

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search