Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Listening Squawk – Feature Request

Author
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim & Team

Firstly. let me say that SD just gets better and better. Keep up the good work.

My request? When using the 'What's Here' feature (Android tap & hold), I would like to see the Listening Squawk included with the initial contact radio frequency. At the moment, I can only access the Listening Squawk by planning a route and then looking it up in the Pilot Log.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Listening Squawks inflight are accessed in the Radio screen. That screen is very useful and does pretty much exactly what you want - shows you radio info for your current location.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Hi Tim
Now that you've included radio services in the 'What's Here' menu on the map, can we have listening squawks as well please?

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We'd certainly consider this if we received enough requests. The downside is that listening squawks are UK only, and not specified very well. Many of them overlap, in fact, and would cause the What's Here menu (in certain parts of the country) to become overcrowded.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Hi Tim
I completely understand where you're coming from. However, I only ever envisaged a listening squawk appearing which is specific to a particular airfield when the 'What's Here' menu is invoked for that particular airfield. In other words, if the 'What's Here'menu is invoked for any airspace which is not an airfield  then no listening squawk would appear. Does this make sense?

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Kind of, though no airspace "is an airfield" in the SkyDemon data. So the user would already have to know which airports offer this service in order to find the airport and look for its frequency.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
I understand that no airspace "is an airfield" – I was just trying to illustrate my point. By way of example, we had a visiting aircraft at our local airfield over the weekend. For the benefit of his passengers, the pilot wanted to carry out a site seeing flight in the local area, just arbitrarily flying from point of interest to point of interest, without having to plan a route, using SD to keep him "out of trouble" so to speak. However, as he was going to be flying quite close to one of our local regional airports, he asked me for their listening squawk. I was able to oblige from memory, but had I not been able to do so, under my proposal, I envisage that he would have been able to invoke the "What's Here" menu for the airport and see the listening squawk as well as the radio services.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Ah, ok, thanks. Did he think of opening up the Radio screen? That would have given him the information he was looking for, I think.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
The Radio screen does indeed provide the listening squawk, but you have to look for it a long, long list of radio frequencies. Since radio services now appear when the "What's Here" menu is invoked, I thought it would be nice to have the listening squawk appear also, when a participating airport is selected.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
As a  Sky Demon user for over a year now - including several trips to the western isles and an extended 'solo' trip from Scotland to the Pyrenees this Summer in a flexwing microlight, I have just read this thread with interest. I would also be very keen to see 'Listening Squawks' added to 'airfield information' for those airfields that have them. I consider the use of listening squawks to be an important issue in improving safety around controlled airspace without burdening the ATC with the need to formally provide a basic service which adds to their workload. Tim, you say that the listening squawks come up on the 'Radio Screen' - but despite extensive searching, re-reading the Help Manual and using a 'Ctrl F' search for the term in the Manual I can't find a 'Radio Screen' anywhere!! - so that's not proving very helpful - at least in my case. Surely it would be a simple mod to add the listening squawk to the airfield info for those few UK airfields that use them. I'm sure NATS and the ATC units concerned would greatly appreciate the increase in use of Listening Squawks this would encourage, with the associated increase in air safety and peace of mind to all concerned.

p.s. Thanks for a great product and keep up the good work - I particularly like the new Runway info in the latest versions!

Best regards

Peter

Sky Demon - Latest version on all 3 platforms
Nexus 7 (2013) Android 5.1.1
iPad Mini 3 with ios9.1
Windows 7 Laptop PC

Edited 11/11/2015 9:59:57 AM by Exfirepro
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...