Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Listening Squawk – Feature Request

Author
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just a thought - but for some of this data (such as LARS areas, listening squawk areas, etc) it would be useful to be able to display it on the map during flight planning.  Not to show it all the time, as that would be very cluttered, but the ability to overlay LARS in a similar way that e.g. NOTAMS are shown would help visualise the areas that they cover.

I know I can preview the PLog which shows me all the frequencies I might need ..... but when I'm mentally going through the route before I fly it is nice to be able to plan for who I'm going to be talking to and when, and also given many LARS are only Mon - Fri, know what alternative units might provide a service.  That also gave me an idea, could you annotate on the Plog and Radio screen those radio services not normally active at the planned/current time (not sure if the data is available for that)??
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Tim Dawson (11/13/2015)
I appreciate that the requirement is there though and that it is a legitimate (if very specific) requirement, so will give it some thought.

Many thanks Tim.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
It's technically tricky (and slightly undesirable) for us to create a bridge between the screen that inspects an airfield, and all the airspace data which is located in a different part of the software. Listening Squawks are airspace data because they have geographical boundaries. I appreciate that the requirement is there though and that it is a legitimate (if very specific) requirement, so will give it some thought.
Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Thanks Tim, I hadn't thought to look there.

Thanks again for your help

Peter
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Ah! I understand now, and what you say makes perfect sense. Not being a programmer, I imagined that a listening squawk was like a radio frequency – 'just a bit of data associated with an airfield.'

However, if I bring up the 'What's Here' menu, and I do so for a specific airport, as opposed to 'a chunk of airspace,' would that still preclude the listening squawk for that airport from being included along with radio services, because at that point, I am looking only at data specific to that airport?

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Edited 11/11/2015 6:00:42 PM by Sky Painter
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
Listening Squawks are encoded as big chunks of airspace in our data, because they have geographical limits. Frequencies, on the other hand, are just bits of data associated with an airfield. Going from an airfield to a corresponding listening squawk is not straightforward.

If someone is flying in a new area, how are they supposed to know which airfield(s) nearby offer a listening squawk? Open the What's Here menu for every airfield onscreen until they find one that has one? That would be ridiculous. Opening the Radio screen tells you exactly which listening squawks are available at your current position.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Hi Tim

Sorry to chip in on this again. It's all very well to say that access to 'Listening Squawks' is available via the 'Radio Screen' – so are airfield radio services (obviously), but if you are not prepared to add 'Listening Squawks' to airfield information when the 'What's Here' menu is invoked, what was your rationale for including airfield radio services in the first place? What's the point of having airfield radio services available nested under the 'What's Here' menu, if I have to then invoke the 'Radio Screen' to get at the 'Listening Squawk'? Since you've made the decision to include radio services nested under the 'What's Here' menu (a decision which I applaud by the way), I cannot understand why you are so reluctant to include 'Listening Squawks' for those airports that provide them, especially since 'Listening Squawks' are inextricably linked to radio services anyway.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Hello Peter,
During flight press the SkyDemon orb to bring up the main menu, then press Radio. That is the Radio screen.

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
As a  Sky Demon user for over a year now - including several trips to the western isles and an extended 'solo' trip from Scotland to the Pyrenees this Summer in a flexwing microlight, I have just read this thread with interest. I would also be very keen to see 'Listening Squawks' added to 'airfield information' for those airfields that have them. I consider the use of listening squawks to be an important issue in improving safety around controlled airspace without burdening the ATC with the need to formally provide a basic service which adds to their workload. Tim, you say that the listening squawks come up on the 'Radio Screen' - but despite extensive searching, re-reading the Help Manual and using a 'Ctrl F' search for the term in the Manual I can't find a 'Radio Screen' anywhere!! - so that's not proving very helpful - at least in my case. Surely it would be a simple mod to add the listening squawk to the airfield info for those few UK airfields that use them. I'm sure NATS and the ATC units concerned would greatly appreciate the increase in use of Listening Squawks this would encourage, with the associated increase in air safety and peace of mind to all concerned.

p.s. Thanks for a great product and keep up the good work - I particularly like the new Runway info in the latest versions!

Best regards

Peter

Sky Demon - Latest version on all 3 platforms
Nexus 7 (2013) Android 5.1.1
iPad Mini 3 with ios9.1
Windows 7 Laptop PC

Edited 11/11/2015 9:59:57 AM by Exfirepro
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
The Radio screen does indeed provide the listening squawk, but you have to look for it a long, long list of radio frequencies. Since radio services now appear when the "What's Here" menu is invoked, I thought it would be nice to have the listening squawk appear also, when a participating airport is selected.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search