Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Crash on Android 4.4.2 / SD 3.0.3

Author
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Here are the logs.

Can you confirm the older versions of SD are not available / not working anymore with the new charts?
Perhaps it sounds strange but I'd love to run 3.0.2 (and trust SD again).

M
Attachments
3.0.6_beta.zip (506 views, 8.00 KB)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Thanks, these will help us.
MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Here is the 3.0.6 17809 delivery (one log only, because they are all showing the same thing).
I promise it's the last log I post (it definitely does not help).

FYI, I used a device on which SD is now the one and only application running (factory reset), so it's hard to accuse a third party.
I've also realised last week that I no longer use SD for navigation because I'm afraid of spending too much time dealing with it during the flight.

It leaves a great preparation tool, but it's frustrating (especially since, one more time, everything was absolutely fine before 3.0.3).
Attachments
3.0.6_17809_2.txt (1.1K views, 11.00 KB)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The logs quite definitely help. As before, I have forwarded this on to the developers of our Android tools for their analysis. Obviously, it is taking a while to get to the bottom of what is happening on your device.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Do you by any chance have the ART runtime enabled on your device in settings? This could explain the crash.

Is there any chance of borrowing your device? Where are you based?
sweetpot
sweetpot
Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)
After SD let me down in flight one more time two days ago, I was realy happy to download the 3.06 this morning.

It had already crashed twice in a day...

nexus seven 4.4.2 sd 3.06.

I do not have enabled art.

I do not trust sd in flight anymore and it is just a pain in the a..when it crash 5 times in a row when you simply want to show a map to someone.
MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Hi,

Not sure the questions are for me, since I've already reply them but just in case:
- I'm not using ART (SD won't start with ART).
- I'm quite far from SD headquarters.

FYI, it's not my device only, almost every SD/Android user I know encounters silent crashes from 3.0.3. They just don't give feedback on it and are not spending as much time as I did trying to reproduce it.
I've tested on 4 different devices and they all have this issue, all from this very specific version.

Not sure about the developers analysis, but I can share mine:
- your version of Xamarin is quite old and does not play well with Android's last versions.
- the new rendering introduced with 3.0.3 is somehow faulty.

I really want to help, because having to use another tool to fly is not what I was expecting when subscribing, but not receiving a single feedback or seeing a change (the same error, for 4 months ...) is not really motivating. I can understand you're considering I'm the only impacted one (and setting the associated level of engagement) but I'm just sure this will impact more and more people. It already does.

M
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Actually, we have been gradually escalating this issue ever since it first started happening. Do not mistake lack of activity on these forums for lack of development effort on our part.

We have thousands of subscribers using SkyDemon on their Android, and it is NOT that case that lots of people/devices are affected. If that were the case, it would be great (in one way) because we would be able to reproduce the problem and debug it here. As it is, we are completely unable to debug the problem and the only thing we have to go on is the logs you have sent us. These indicate a non-managed exception which we can't catch, so I have had to forward them on to the developer of our tools (Xamarin) for their analysis. Since we are using the very latest version of their tools, we haven't managed to get very far as yet - they are stumped by it too. Regardless of what you may think, the problem is confined to a relatively small number of devices or something specific about the settings on those devices.

I have offered to fly myself, at my expense, to any city in the world to meet with Xamarin engineers to get to the bottom of this issue. The trouble is, it won't help unless I have a device upon which I can reproduce the problem.

If you have four devices all of which reproduce the problem easily, would you consider letting us borrow one of them?

I plan to upload another beta later today with some further experimental changes.
alberto
alberto
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
          I also have silent crashes, on Nexus 7 and SD 3.0.6.This seems to be a general problem since 3.0.3. The crashes often takes place after a few minutes after SD was started.

I do not feel comfortable with SD, as I did before 3.0.3. I had one crash just durind the takeoff in Hamburg, approaching the visual reporting point. I will no longer use SD in critical situations as long as the problem is not solved.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Has anyone tried the beta we released last night?

If anybody wants to work closer on trying some potential solutions to this, please contact us by email (through our website) and mention that Tim said to get in touch directly. We have retrieved the 3.0.2 source code from our repository and have some ideas to try.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search