Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Butterfly Connect

Author
LutzRab
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, is there a document describing the use of the new collision detection feature?
I have a "Butterfly Connect" connected to a TRX1500 which is PowerFlarm compatible
and successfully shows traffic on the Butterfly external display.

But whenever I connect the iPad the Butterfly-WLAN (which seems to work) and go
to "Setup" -> "PowerFlarm" -> "Flaying" I get a message box with:

"Lost connection to your GPS"

The "Butterfly Connect Key" is as printed on the "Butterfly Connect". On the second
connection try I get "Failed to establish a connection with the Butterfly Connect unit."?

On the TRX1500 I can choose between different protocolls: "PowerFlarm Display" or
"Garmin TIS" which one do I need?
joseffe
joseffe
Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.2K reputation)
+ 1

At Tannkosh I visited the butterfly guys and tested their connect unit with my iPad mini (better try before buy ;o). The result was a very buggy connection. Once the connection has been established (worked only once out of 4/5 attempts) traffic was shown in the map.

Unfortunately there is no documentation how to configure the display and how to interpret the signals. Some were quite obvious and other's weren't.

May I ask for two things:
1) Please provide a documentation for this feature as it is highly appreciated
2) Please fix stability issues are explain how to establish a stable connection

Kind regards,
Oliver
LutzRab
LutzRab
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Problem solved. The serial from the ButterFly Connect to the TRX1500 had swapped TX/RX lines.
The WiFi connection is stable. Maybe on a fair that is a problem, because the "ButterFly Connect"
can only work with one WiFi device at a time. So if 3 people have an iPhone in there pocket trying
to connect you have a problem.

Next good thing is, that the TRX1500 is being used as GPS source. So I don't have to worry about
my unreliable internal GPS or the buggy bluetooth connection to my Dual GPS.

This is a picture of an ADS-B target that is no factor:

LutzRab
LutzRab
If you tap on the little green plane you get some more information:

hazlebury
hazlebury
Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)
Hi - I am also fitting this but do you know if a bluetooth connection is possible?  My iPad will be connected to my wifi hotspot so I don't know how it would then also connect to the Butterfly Connect.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The Air Connect (as it is now known) works over Wifi. You need to connect to its Wifi hotspot to use it.
hazlebury
hazlebury
Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/10/2017 11:11:44 AM
The Air Connect (as it is now known) works over Wifi. You need to connect to its Wifi hotspot to use it.

Thanks.  Do you have a screenshot anywhere that shows the traffic being display on SD on iPad?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Not to hand. There's one further up this page though.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search