Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon export to .gpx from iPad ? Missing functionality ?

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ok - we'll add a GPX format route to the email you can send. That ought to do it.
churchy
churchy
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Me too. (MGL Voyager user).

Richard
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Churchy, this has already been resolved in the latest update.
Flylogical
Flylogical
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)
Tim Dawson (04/05/2012)
We haven't heard much demand for exporting routes in GPX format on the iPad version, in fact I think this is the first instance I've seen. If we receive enough, then I suppose we'll add an option to the save window which will complicate it (undesirable).

The .flightplan format is far from legacy, it's the only format that supports the rich array of flight planning features offered by SkyDemon.

Glad to see the latest update enables GPX export via email from iPad, by popular demand it seems !

On your second point, the .flightplan XML schema is not an open-standard but, rather, is specific to SkyDemon i.e., a "legacy" format, by definition. Nor is it amenable to straightforward XSLT transformation to GPX owing to the specifics of the .flightplan XML node structure. That's why when I built my own importer (to import as GPX the .flightplan formatted files emailed from SkyDemon on iPad before recent update), I had to use low-level code to do it. Relatively straightforward but a touch awkward. In terms of supporting a "rich array of flight planning features", I think you might agree that the SkyDemon internal XML schema could be more straightforward than .flightplan, without loss of richness. See for example the extended XML generated from my email-based PLOG service (just send a blank email to plogs@flylogical.com to receive a sample of such). This is also a rich and comprehensive data model, but I would suggest has a more intuitive structure than the .flightplan format.

Finally, I am curious as to why when I recently upgraded my iPad version of SkyDemon, the icon now shows "Lite". I have purchased a full subscription, so the "Lite" banner seems spurious (it wasn't present before the update). I'm not sure if I've lost any functionality, not had a chance to test all corners...but I would welcome your thoughts and advice if indeed this is a problem, known or otherwise.

Thank you in advance

FlyLogical

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Logical, it sounds like you are confusing legacy (which means replaced or obsolete) with proprietary. The SkyDemon flightplan format is proprietary, subject to change, and is designed to best support the many (and changing) features of SkyDemon. It is not designed to be opened by other software; that's what standard like GPX are for. It is by no means legacy as we have no plans to move away from our own format.

The icon in the latest version of SkyDemon for iPad was mis-published and will be corrected in the next update.
Fardeau
F
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
[citation]
[b]ckurz7000 - 26/06/2012 15:42:51[/ b]
Voici mon message "moi aussi": j'adorerais voir exporter vers gpx sur l'ipad. Sans cela, ce n'est que la moitié du plaisir pour moi. Mon EFIS (MGL Voyager) peut importer des gpx. Je serais un campeur heureux si les deux ont échangé des informations.

- Chris.
[/citation]

Bonjour, moi aussi j'ai besoin d exporter mes navigation en gpx. 
Merci de le prendre en compte. G Fardeau

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search