Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature Request: Ocean shipping lanes

Author
k
Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi SkyDemon team,

when I fly a long time VFR over the ocean I feel the need of the "ocean shipping lanes". I think it would be a nice feature to follow/fly over these routes. Especially in case of an emergency. The chance of survival will increase, if you have an engine loss and need to emergency water landing.

I heard of other pilots, that in some navigation software this feature is already included.

So my question is, is there a chance to implement such a feature (in the already great) SkyDemon software also?

Best regards
Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (375 reputation)Too Much Forum (375 reputation)Too Much Forum (375 reputation)Too Much Forum (375 reputation)Too Much Forum (375 reputation)Too Much Forum (375 reputation)Too Much Forum (375 reputation)Too Much Forum (375 reputation)Too Much Forum (375 reputation)
It's a bit different use-case, but FYI it's technically possible to show actual ships realtime on the map:
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
We once looked at including ferry routes in SkyDemon but reception to the idea was lukewarm. Personally I think the fact a ferry might follow the route once a day isn't necessarily going to be that helpful.
knaumann
k
Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)Too Much Forum (238 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/30/2022 9:15:27 AM
We once looked at including ferry routes in SkyDemon but reception to the idea was lukewarm. Personally I think the fact a ferry might follow the route once a day isn't necessarily going to be that helpful.

I got your point. If the routes aren't heavily frequented, then it certainly doesn't really make much sense. But I think every safety gain (no matter how small it is) makes sense in the case of an emergency. And showing the default routes would help me when planning a flight over water. But I can't estimate the effort for an implementation in SkyDemon either.

And I like also the idea/description of Adam how to show real live shipping traffic. Same point: If you have an engine failure in flight and can't reach the land, tha you can try to reach the nearest ship and hope for a rescue in the case of a water landing.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search