SkyDemon Forums

Feature Request: Ocean shipping lanes

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic35557.aspx

By knaumann - 9/21/2022 8:43:38 AM

Hi SkyDemon team,

when I fly a long time VFR over the ocean I feel the need of the "ocean shipping lanes". I think it would be a nice feature to follow/fly over these routes. Especially in case of an emergency. The chance of survival will increase, if you have an engine loss and need to emergency water landing.

I heard of other pilots, that in some navigation software this feature is already included.

So my question is, is there a chance to implement such a feature (in the already great) SkyDemon software also?

Best regards
By knaumann - 9/30/2022 7:23:09 PM

Tim Dawson - 9/30/2022 9:15:27 AM
We once looked at including ferry routes in SkyDemon but reception to the idea was lukewarm. Personally I think the fact a ferry might follow the route once a day isn't necessarily going to be that helpful.

I got your point. If the routes aren't heavily frequented, then it certainly doesn't really make much sense. But I think every safety gain (no matter how small it is) makes sense in the case of an emergency. And showing the default routes would help me when planning a flight over water. But I can't estimate the effort for an implementation in SkyDemon either.

And I like also the idea/description of Adam how to show real live shipping traffic. Same point: If you have an engine failure in flight and can't reach the land, tha you can try to reach the nearest ship and hope for a rescue in the case of a water landing.