Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Alternate route

Author
Igor De Ruitz
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, It's only a couple of months I'm using SD, but I cannot find a way to set a route to my alternate.
When I set an airport as alternate, SD draws a single line from the destination to the alternate, no way to set waypoints on it.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
You're not missing anything. You cannot plan a route to your alternate, because we don't know at what point you may decide to divert. You can of course plan routes and save them separately, and load them on demand, or plan on the fly if it becomes clear you need to divert.
andrew62
a
Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)
Good day,
May I join the topic by adding a question…
If my alternate is a nearby airfield SD calculates DCT and therefore way too short. It would be a great help, to make planning realistic, to at least have the possibility to specify a minimum distance to be considered for the diversion.
Thanks
Andy

PS: worst case should be considered for diversion, e.g. diverding after preceding traffic blocks runway, or weather makes landing not possible
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Have you tried using the 'Land Here' option for your destination? i.e create the route and your diversion route as one big route, touch on the destination and select 'Land Here'.

Have a play in simulation mode and see whether is suits you. 

andrew62
a
Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)
grahamb - 6/29/2021 4:37:04 PM
Have you tried using the 'Land Here' option for your destination? i.e create the route and your diversion route as one big route, touch on the destination and select 'Land Here'.

Just tried, but there’s no fuel/route/time calculation displayed in the generated NAV log… 
so that’s not a valid workaround 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
andrew62 - 6/29/2021 5:25:09 PM

Just tried, but there’s no fuel/route/time calculation displayed in the generated NAV log… 

If you touch any leg on the alternate route, the details of that, rather than the principal route, will be displayed.

andrew62
a
grahamb - 6/29/2021 6:03:11 PM
andrew62 - 6/29/2021 5:25:09 PM

If you touch any leg on the alternate route, the details of that, rather than the principal route, will be displayed.

thanks grahamb, but no documentation in preflight prep and fuelcalc….

grahamb
grahamb
andrew62 - 6/29/2021 6:24:03 PM

I don''t understand. When you use the 'Land Here' option on an intermediate waypoint, SD immediatley breaks the whole route into two routes, with flight conditions, start time, fuel plan, weight and balance etc controllable independently; it just happens that they are both presented on the chart concurrently with the 'inactive' segment dulled. It is saved as one route though.

The problem with alternates as far as detailed planning is concerned is that SD, and you, don't know when you may have to divert. From halfway along your planned route? From just before you arrive at destination? What about diverting to an airfield you hadn't pre-planned as the alternate? After a hold, instrument approach procedure and a low go around and where you also may need a hold and instrument approach at the alernate? SD therefore takes the simple approach, which is that by nominating an alternate, you get the airport details, frequencies etc in your plan/plog, and the basic direct route shown. To try and second guess all the circumstances that might prevail when a diversion is required would be impossible, so it leaves it to the pilot to use the features provided as best they can for their situation on the day.

andrew62
a
grahamb - 6/30/2021 6:17:12 AM
andrew62 - 6/29/2021 6:24:03 PM

I don''t understand. When you use the 'Land Here' option on an intermediate waypoint, SD immediatley breaks the whole route into two routes, with flight conditions, start time, fuel plan, weight and balance etc controllable independently; it just happens that they are both presented on the chart concurrently with the 'inactive' segment dulled. It is saved as one route though.

The problem with alternates as far as detailed planning is concerned is that SD, and you, don't know when you may have to divert. From halfway along your planned route? From just before you arrive at destination? What about diverting to an airfield you hadn't pre-planned as the alternate? After a hold, instrument approach procedure and a low go around and where you also may need a hold and instrument approach at the alernate? SD therefore takes the simple approach, which is that by nominating an alternate, you get the airport details, frequencies etc in your plan/plog, and the basic direct route shown. To try and second guess all the circumstances that might prevail when a diversion is required would be impossible, so it leaves it to the pilot to use the features provided as best they can for their situation on the day.

I´m quite certain you dont understand what I mean....

It´s about the legal requirement for preflight preparation. What you´re doing inflight is another story, but before getting airborne your planning has to cover the planned route to the destination and also a realistic trajectory to the alternate.
SD suggests in this case 0,2 ltr and 1 Minute, actually it would be 11 minutes and 2 ltr.

Again, I´m not arguing for the ACTUAL flight and inflight considerations, I´m arguing for PREFLIGHT conditions and legal requirements.

If it´s not possible to have this feature (be it route to alternate or manual distance) in future in SD I can live with it, but if SD wants to cover all aspects of preflightplanning .....

Cheers
Andy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search