Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Quickly Edit waypoints

Author
K
Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

Sometimes I have to use a waypoint that is only known from its long/lat coordinates and not defined by a city, reporting point, airfield etc. (E.g. for the matter I just posted in the thread: intelligent level changes. 

In the pilotlog and the briefing pack these waypoint just appear with their coordinates and dont mean a thing when flying. Most of the times I only use these waypoints once, for a specific flight. E.g to avoid overflying gliderareas

Is there an option when clicking on the waypoint (or in the pilot log) to quickly rename it. (E.g. avoid GLDRArea NW Münster or ALT change NW of MS). This renaming only needs to be saved for this particular flight. Benefit: it doesn clog up your favorite, and self created waypoints. 

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Patrick

Attachments
Screenshot_20210320-094707.jpg (290 views, 682.00 KB)
jaimebeneyto
j
Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)Forum Member (36 reputation)
I second this!

This is very common when flying VFR and you want to insert a waypoint in the middle of a leg to mark a controlled airspace boundary and a new level restriction. You don't actually want to store that point, just have it named for that particular flight so it appears on the plog as "CAS Boundary" or something like that.

ulin
u
Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)
I certainly support this suggestion. It would be great, if you could implement this feature. Rename a short-time waypoint for just one flight-planning, so it has a meaningful name in the briefing pack.
As soon as a new flight(-planning) ist started, a new route created, or that waypoint is removed, SkyDemon could immediately forget that waypoint name.
Skydemon offers several options, what you can do with a user-generated waypoint, but unfortunately, you can not rename it - pity. If you could, it would be a major improvement for the use of the briefing-pack in my opinion.

ulin
u
Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)
There's been a short thread in 2017 - "Name individual waypoints in the PLOG", posted 1/25/2017 5:48:08 PM by David, (http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic21278.aspx#29729), which had the same feature request. It lay dormant then for 2 years, before I supported the idea. But there was only one comment, suggesting, to create a user-waypoint every time and delete it again, when it's not needed any more.
No further comments after that.
So obviously this is not something, many people seem to be interested in.

Kurt37
K
Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)
Hi there,

very happy to see that this functions has been added. In the pilog log it works very well, however I think there is one area where the renaming is not included. 

In the Route Plan the old name is still shown. I think for consistency reason the renaming should also affect the route plan. 

See waypoint "test1", which is not used in the route plan.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
It's a good point, we will make this new feature work in that window too.

Incidentally, we are considering removing that window because it has been superseded by the PLOG for many years. Could you perhaps explain why you use it instead of the PLOG?

Andrew
A
Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/25/2021 10:06:40 AM

Incidentally, we are considering removing that window because it has been superseded by the PLOG for many years. Could you perhaps explain why you use it instead of the PLOG?

I like the route plan window as it's sort-of interactive, gives a good overview of the route, and on the same screen as the map view - no need to switch to the PLOG.  It is also "unformatted" so more intuitive to scan through.
Can also adjust leg properties (eg. adj levels with reference to MSA) by double-click instead of scrolling through the map - unless there's a better way of editing legs that I'm missing.

Final nitpicking comment is that the renamed turning point also doesn't appear on the leg properties dialog box.

Renaming turning points was a big plus, so thanks for implementing.

Andrew
A
Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)Too Much Forum (119 reputation)
[quote]
Tim Dawson - 10/25/2021 10:06:40 AM
Thanks - I see it's done in the latest version!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search