Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Name individual waypoints in the PLOG

Author
David
Too Much Forum (429 reputation)Too Much Forum (429 reputation)Too Much Forum (429 reputation)Too Much Forum (429 reputation)Too Much Forum (429 reputation)Too Much Forum (429 reputation)Too Much Forum (429 reputation)Too Much Forum (429 reputation)Too Much Forum (429 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello SkyDemon-Team!

‌I've been using the SkyDemon app on iOS (iPad) and Windows for flightplanning since about two years now and I'm totally happy! Everything works as expected, I don't regret switching from AirNavPro.

One thing that I would really like to have though is the following (Attention: this is a very luxurious wish :-)
‌Usually when I plan a route, I try to use waypoints such as cities and waypoints but I also like to use lakes or mountains that I know. The problem however is, that those points are not "map-items" like cities or waypoints and therefore the PLOG will show the coordinates instead of a name. Now I have the option to create a custom waypoint for each of these items, so that I have the correct name in the PLOG.
B‌ut that annoys me somehow, because I need to create them first, do a lot of clicking/touching/tapping and then finally I can plan a route. Especially when I fly routes, that I will probably not fly again or if this point is not worth to become a customized waypoint this is really annoying :-)

So what I would like to have or what would be sufficient for that: Tapping&hold on the PLOG entry (or in Windows: right mouse click on the name) and select something like "Rename waypoint". Then I just enter an individual name, just for this flight, just for this PLOG without creating too many custom waypoints. If I change the waypoint position, the name should be reset to the coordinates and I could rename it again in the PLOG and so on... 
Hope you understand my suggestion and my use case. Perhaps there are other people out there, how'd like to just use individual names for the PLOG than to have a custom waypoint (it's just more "effort" :-)
Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your great app! It really made my flying experience a lot better, planning got easier and also somehow safer!!

Best regards from Austria,
‌David

ulin
u
Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)
I'm new to the SkyDemon forum (just joined a few minutes ago, although I have used SkyDemon for several years now) and am surprised that this request/suggestion has not found any echo in almost 3 years.

This is exactly, what I was going to suggest as an improvement to SkyDemon.

When I print the briefing pack to use during the flight, I always scribble meaningful names (for me anyway) above the coordinates of the waypoints. It would look much better and be much easier, if you could do that, before you print the package. Right-clicking self-created waypoints (bridges, towers, lakes, freeway-crossings......) and having the option to give them a meaningful name just for this one flight and position would be the perfect thing to do.
Creating a user waypoint for a never again to be used waypoint is much too complicated and a waste of storage space and the number of user-waypoints would increase with every flight.
So, Yes! - I certainly support this idea/request and would love to see it implemented in one of the future updates of Skydemon (the sooner, the better :-) )

Uli

Edited 11/6/2019 11:02:26 PM by ulin
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
I don’t understand why you find naming your temporary waypoints so difficult, certainly on a tablet.
- Rubber band route to desired feature
- touch waypoint to show pop up
- touch ‘Create user waypoint here’
- type name and save it

When you wish to get rid of it, call up the list of user waypoints from the Setup menu and swipe left. 

I don’t  see how it could be any simpler. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search