Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Glide range circle

Author
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Glide range is a nice feature. With the new changeable altitude, I would want to use it differently though.

Over water, I'd want it down to 0ft. Can I reach any land? all I want is ditch near a beach.
Over ground, 1000ft for a somewhat controlled emergency or precautionary landing.

Some alternatives:
1. Can we have 2 circles? One inner circle (maybe dashed, or a different color) to whatever set altitude, and an outer (full line) down to 0ft?
2. Can we have 2 settings and an automatic switch, like today where we can choose to display the circle only over water, except switching between 2 values?

NB: a search of "glide range" on this forum brings a couple of interesting older threads, which might be interesting to look at too.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Glide Range does show the glide to 0ft AGL, as far as I know. Why do you want to add a safety altitude and if you need that, why don't you simply calculated it into the existing glide?
efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
MarkusM - 6/3/2020 3:57:27 PM
Glide Range does show the glide to 0ft AGL, as far as I know. Why do you want to add a safety altitude and if you need that, why don't you simply calculated it into the existing glide?

Showing, you’re not working with the latest (beta) version!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
SkyDemon shows glide range to a user-configurable height AGL, by default 1000 ft.

We are actively considering whether this could be automatically changed when flying over the sea or whether that would make the feature too unpredictable to be useful.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/4/2020 9:26:27 AM
SkyDemon shows glide range to a user-configurable height AGL, by default 1000 ft.

We are actively considering whether this could be automatically changed when flying over the sea or whether that would make the feature too unpredictable to be useful.

I think that would be really useful. However, I can see a problem arising when coasting out or coasting in – at which point would the height setting change? Presumably, the direction of flight would be taken into consideration.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

kaiserman
k
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Hi everyone.
Following the glide range topic, I have been thinking very often in case of PAN or MAYDAY (ie Engine trouble or shutdown) it would be incredibly useful that the program would show options of the most suitable airports/aerodromes to land based on calculus of Glide range, meteo, etc. So by incorporating a PANIC BUTTON in the software a pilot would have at a glance the best suitable options based on all the parameters involved. I think it would be an invaluable feature in SD

Is there a possibility to have this feature incorporated in the future?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
We've thought about this potential "panic button" a number of times over the years, but we are not convinced that in the event of an emergency, the pilot will really want to reach for a button in SkyDemon and pin their hopes on what it tells them. Could you list all the information you'd like to see in this potential screen?
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
efrenken - 6/3/2020 8:06:20 PM
MarkusM - 6/3/2020 3:57:27 PM

Showing, you’re not working with the latest (beta) version!

NEVER will I give beta software the slightest chance to kill me.

MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
The day I feel safer in case a panic button exists, I will stop flying Smile
Edited 6/7/2020 11:11:01 AM by MikeTwoOne
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search