Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon, Pilotaware and OGN

Author
M
Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim,

since a few weeks I'm using Skydemon and I'm very happy with it.
Thanks for that great software. 

Yesterday I ordered Pilotaware and now I'm looking forward trying this hardware together with Skydemon.

I thought about building up an OGN-R ground station for the FLARM functionality but after mailing with Keith from Pilotaware it seems that my location is not the best because of buildings around my garden.

Now I'm wondering why Skydemon doesn't fetch the glider positions from the OGN via LTE/mobile data?
My tablet has LTE and should be able to connect the OGN during flight. 

Maybe you can explain to me why it's not possible?

Thanks in advance. 

Cheers
Kai

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Are you suggesting we attempt to use GSM mobile connectivity in flight in order to provide tactical collision avoidance?
Maverix
M
Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/18/2020 11:15:31 AM
Are you suggesting we attempt to use GSM mobile connectivity in flight in order to provide tactical collision avoidance?

In UK Pilotaware is using OGN-R to show FLARM traffic. In Germany the OGN-R network is still not common and Pilotaware pilots don't get traffic information from FLARM gliders, ultralights an helicopters.
The normal OGN network ist common in Germany.
That's why I asked if it would be possible to get the information from OGN network via GSM mobile.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Commercially re-broadcasting OGN will be a GDPDR nightmare - aircraft registrations are personal data, especially gliders. You (may) get away with operational needs from within the cockpit as long as the data stays at the local device, but collecting on servers and transmitting via mobile networking sounds like from the worst bucket of worms.
Edited 2/19/2020 6:22:54 PM by MarkusM
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I think the privacy concerns would be surmountable because people are broadcasting this data specifically for the purpose of other people avoiding them in the air.

However, tactical collision avoidance using high-latency and unreliable GSM mobile network data is a non-starter. It might work just occasionally enough to give the pilot a false sense of security, which would be a bad thing.

The solution is to properly equip with ADS-B and encourage as many others to do so as possible.

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Maverix - 2/18/2020 12:38:55 PM

In UK Pilotaware is using OGN-R to show FLARM traffic. In Germany the OGN-R network is still not common and Pilotaware pilots don't get traffic information from FLARM gliders, ultralights an helicopters.
That's why I asked if it would be possible to get the information from OGN network via GSM mobile.

Kai, why don't you built your own Stratux based on the Stratux Europe version? It supports ADS-B and FLARM at a cost of less than € 150,-. At the same time it provides you with a very reliable GPS source, supporting GPS, GLONASS and GALILEO ...

Maverix
M
TouchTheSky - 2/21/2020 11:32:06 AM

Kai, why don't you built your own Stratux based on the Stratux Europe version? It supports ADS-B and FLARM at a cost of less than € 150,-. At the same time it provides you with a very reliable GPS source, supporting GPS, GLONASS and GALILEO ...

Does Stratux show also bearingless targets from Mode C and Mode S Transponders?
Does it work with Skydemon?
I can find Stratux at Amazon for 270,- €

Maverix
M
Tim Dawson - 2/21/2020 10:58:55 AM
I think the privacy concerns would be surmountable because people are broadcasting this data specifically for the purpose of other people avoiding them in the air.

However, tactical collision avoidance using high-latency and unreliable GSM mobile network data is a non-starter. It might work just occasionally enough to give the pilot a false sense of security, which would be a bad thing.

The solution is to properly equip with ADS-B and encourage as many others to do so as possible.

Okay, understood. 

Thanks. 

Massimo Belloni
Massimo Belloni
Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)
Maverix - 2/21/2020 2:19:53 PM
TouchTheSky - 2/21/2020 11:32:06 AM

Does Stratux show also bearingless targets from Mode C and Mode S Transponders?
Does it work with Skydemon?
I can find Stratux at Amazon for 270,- €

Yes, it works perfectly with Skydemon.
I see for sure non ADS/B xpndrs (but, of course, the target bearing is not indicate).
You can see some interesting video, specific about Stratux and Skydemon, i.e.:
Build one is really very, very simple, you can buy on Amazon the single parts and assemble them without solder anything. Just remember to get also the AHRS module (which usually is indicated as optional)., because without it it won't work correctly.

There are different software version (fork from the original project) available on the net which are more suitable for specific countries. In Europe (IMHO) the best is the  B3nno release. You can find it here: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/releases . To flash the microSD with this software you can use Balena Etcher https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Have fun! Smile

Massimo Belloni

Edited 2/21/2020 3:02:58 PM by Massimo Belloni
Maverix
M
I ordered the necessary parts and will give a try 👍
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search