Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Automatic Overlay of Georeferenced Charts

Author
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" enabled and I have a subscription to Pooleys. It used to be the case that when approaching an airfield, the Pooleys plate would be loaded and overlaid on the chart, but recently, SD's own plate has been loaded and overlaid on the chart instead. I understand that this is the default  and it cannot be changed. Since my preference is for the Pooleys plate to be automatically loaded and overlaid on the chart, I would like to request this as a user selectable option please. I am sure that users of other flight guides would appreciate the option too.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I'm afraid I do not understand this, as there is no "SkyDemon Plate" that can be overlaid. Can you describe what you mean by saying that SD's own plate has been overlaid?
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/18/2019 12:06:58 PM
I'm afraid I do not understand this, as there is no "SkyDemon Plate" that can be overlaid. Can you describe what you mean by saying that SD's own plate has been overlaid?

Hi Tim

Let's start by opening SD Plan on my PC. If I right click on a random airfield, then Information, if I then select the airfields tab and scroll to the bottom, I am presented with a list of plates for that airfield, thus:

Pooley's Plate
Pooley's

AFE Plate
UK VFR Flight Guide (Requires Purchase)

Aerodrome Chart
Civil AIP

SkyDemon Plate
All our data in one place

So that establishes that there is such a thing as a SkyDemon Plate.

Now if a plan a route on my tablet from A to B and tap Go Flying, I find the aircraft icon is taxying to the departure point via the SkyDemon plate. At some point on the climb out, the SkyDemon plate disappears in favour of the chart. When I reach my destination, I find the aircraft icon taxying in on the SkyDemon plate. It obviously appears at some point during the joining/approach phase, but I'm usually too busy concentrating on my flying at this point to notice the precise moment when this occurs.

I understand that this is the default behaviour and cannot be changed (at the moment), but there was a time before the SkyDemon plates were developed, when Pooley's plates were utilised in this manner and I would like a user selectable option to able to substitute Pooley's plates for SkyDemon plates in the above scenario.

I know that I can manually overlay the Pooley's plate by tapping the blue location pin, but this defeats the object of having  "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" enabled. In short, with this function enabled, I would like to be able to specify that Pooley's plates appear, rather than SkyDemon plates.

I hope I've explained myself satisfactorily, but if you need further clarification, please let me know.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Sky Painter - 10/18/2019 4:34:37 PM

Hi Tim

Let's start by opening SD Plan on my PC. If I right click on a random airfield, then Information, if I then select the airfields tab and scroll to the bottom, I am presented with a list of plates for that airfield, thus:

Pooley's Plate
Pooley's

AFE Plate

Aerodrome Chart
Civil AIP

SkyDemon Plate

Now if a plan a route on my tablet from A to B and tap Go Flying, I find the aircraft icon is taxying to the departure point via the SkyDemon plate. At some point on the climb out, the SkyDemon plate disappears in favour of the chart. When I reach my destination, I find the aircraft icon taxying in on the SkyDemon plate. It obviously appears at some point during the joining/approach phase, but I'm usually too busy concentrating on my flying at this point to notice the precise moment when this occurs.

I understand that this is the default behaviour and cannot be changed (at the moment), but there was a time before the SkyDemon plates were developed, when Pooley's plates were utilised in this manner and I would like a user selectable option to able to substitute Pooley's plates for SkyDemon plates in the above scenario.

I know that I can manually overlay the Pooley's plate by tapping the blue location pin, but this defeats the object of having  "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" enabled. In short, with this function enabled, I would like to be able to specify that Pooley's plates appear, rather than SkyDemon plates.

I hope I've explained myself satisfactorily, but if you need further clarification, please let me know.

Mike,
I think what you are seeing is not a SkyDemon plate (as such) but just the map automatically zoomed in to maximum when you select "go flying". Then shows you taxi from parking to the runway or vice versa after landing. I don't use any electronic plates (still use paper Pooleys...) and what I described happens for me for each flight.
Tony

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
tnowak - 10/21/2019 7:21:32 AM

Hi Tim

Pooley's Plate
Pooley's

AFE Plate

Aerodrome Chart
Civil AIP

SkyDemon Plate

Mike,
I think what you are seeing is not a SkyDemon plate (as such) but just the map automatically zoomed in to maximum when you select "go flying". Then shows you taxi from parking to the runway or vice versa after landing. I don't use any electronic plates (still use paper Pooleys...) and what I described happens for me for each flight.
Tony

Hi Tony

I did wonder about that, in which case, with "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" enabled, why don't my Pooley's plates overlay?

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Sky Painter - 10/21/2019 10:04:39 AM
tnowak - 10/21/2019 7:21:32 AM

Hi Tim

Pooley's Plate
Pooley's

AFE Plate

Aerodrome Chart
Civil AIP

SkyDemon Plate

Mike,
Tony

Hi Tony

I did wonder about that, in which case, with "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" enabled, why don't my Pooley's plates overlay?

That I wouldn't know as I don't use any overlay plates.
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Ok, this isn't a SkyDemon Plate, you're just referring to our vector airfield maps which are always drawn on the map when you're zoomed in enough. They are not an overlay, they're a core part of the map.

PDF plates are automatically overlaid when they've been downloaded and it's clear which one should be chosen. I suspect what you're seeing is that it isn't clear which one should be chosen, so SkyDemon isn't doing it automatically, leaving you to be explicit. This usually happens because (for example) you've downloaded both the AFE and the Pooley's plate for an airfield.

Does that sound right?

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Tim Dawson - 10/23/2019 2:21:21 PM
Ok, this isn't a SkyDemon Plate, you're just referring to our vector airfield maps which are always drawn on the map when you're zoomed in enough. They are not an overlay, they're a core part of the map.

PDF plates are automatically overlaid when they've been downloaded and it's clear which one should be chosen. I suspect what you're seeing is that it isn't clear which one should be chosen, so SkyDemon isn't doing it automatically, leaving you to be explicit. This usually happens because (for example) you've downloaded both the AFE and the Pooley's plate for an airfield.

Does that sound right?

I only have Pooley's plates downloaded.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)
Hi all,
it seems this behavior has been already discussed recently:
http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic29056.aspx#29069
Gerhard
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
So, with  "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" enabled and only Pooley's plates downloaded and available, but NOT displaying, the only possible conclusion is that the  "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" function is broken. I look forward to a fix.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search