Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Automatic Overlay of Georeferenced Charts

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Actually, it's likely that the Pooley's plate you have downloaded contains more than one georeferenced map, and therefore SkyDemon doesn't know which to choose. I've re-read all your posts on this thread and can't see where you've actually told us which airfield is causing this problem. If you can tell me that, I can debug further.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/24/2019 12:46:20 PM
Actually, it's likely that the Pooley's plate you have downloaded contains more than one georeferenced map, and therefore SkyDemon doesn't know which to choose. I've re-read all your posts on this thread and can't see where you've actually told us which airfield is causing this problem. If you can tell me that, I can debug further.

Any airfield for which I only have the Pooley's plate. Some examples are:
Full Sutton
Wombleton
North Coates
Brimpton

Hope this helps.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Ok, thanks. I can confirm that PDF airfield diagrams are not automatically overlaid when SkyDemon has vector mapping of airfield taxiways, buildings etc in the base map. This has been the case for many years and explains the behaviour you are seeing.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/25/2019 9:16:53 AM
Ok, thanks. I can confirm that PDF airfield diagrams are not automatically overlaid when SkyDemon has vector mapping of airfield taxiways, buildings etc in the base map. This has been the case for many years and explains the behaviour you are seeing.

Many thanks Tim. So, back to my original request. Could we have a user selectable option to force the overlay of Pooley's plates please?

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
You can still overlay the Pooley's plate; just press the little georeference button next to it in the plates list.

We would be unlikely to create a software configuration option for the specific case of allowing georeferenced airfield plates to open automatically even when vectorised airfield mapping exists; we dislike adding options at the best of times but such a niche and specific one would be particularly bad.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Tim Dawson - 10/25/2019 9:16:53 AM

...PDF airfield diagrams are not automatically overlaid when SkyDemon has vector mapping of airfield taxiways, buildings etc in the base map.

So what then is the point of having an "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" function when it doesn't do what it is supposed to do?

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The function is primarily used for approach charts.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
With  "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" enabled, I would expect my georeferenced Pooley's plates to be overlaid where there is no conflict with other georeferenced plates for that airfield, as they once were. However, since the introduction of SD's vector mapping in the base map, that functionality has been lost.

The function is expressly labelled "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" which includes Pooley's plates (and AFE plates for that matter). It is NOT labelled "Automatically Show Georeferenced Approach Plates" so with the function enabled, I would expect my georeferenced Pooley's plates to be overlaid, as they once were. If users prefer to rely on SD's vector mapping in the base map, that's fine. Just don't enable "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates".

It seems to me that you are forcing users to use SD's vector mapping in the base map, when there are other options which they may wish to choose, and which have been available in the past. As things stand at the moment, there is little advantage in paying for georeferenced Pooley's plates (or AFE plates for that matter), and I might as well go back to using paper plates. What is the point of having georeferenced plates when they are NOT displayed when requested.  I am not asking for new functionality here. All I am asking for, is for previously available functionality, to be restored. Is that so much to ask?

I know I have laboured the point somewhat, but I felt that it was necessary to it across.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Sky Painter - 11/5/2019 12:25:34 PM
With  "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" enabled, I would expect my georeferenced Pooley's plates to be overlaid where there is no conflict with other georeferenced plates for that airfield, as they once were. However, since the introduction of SD's vector mapping in the base map, that functionality has been lost.

The function is expressly labelled "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates" which includes Pooley's plates (and AFE plates for that matter). It is NOT labelled "Automatically Show Georeferenced Approach Plates" so with the function enabled, I would expect my georeferenced Pooley's plates to be overlaid, as they once were. If users prefer to rely on SD's vector mapping in the base map, that's fine. Just don't enable "Automatically Show Georeferenced Plates".

It seems to me that you are forcing users to use SD's vector mapping in the base map, when there are other options which they may wish to choose, and which have been available in the past. As things stand at the moment, there is little advantage in paying for georeferenced Pooley's plates (or AFE plates for that matter), and I might as well go back to using paper plates. What is the point of having georeferenced plates when they are NOT displayed when requested.  I am not asking for new functionality here. All I am asking for, is for previously available functionality, to be restored. Is that so much to ask?

I know I have laboured the point somewhat, but I felt that it was necessary to it across.

I agree that the 'automatically' now seems superfluous, but you can still manually overlay purchased charts by touching the 'bubble' next to them in the aifield details display.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I must be confused, because we haven't changed any behaviour in this area for at least a year or two. It's the way it has always worked.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search