Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Track up view isn’t quite

Author
S
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
New user here...

Both my previous handheld devices (Lowrance and Garmin) in track up mode did precisely that - even the smallest course correction resulted in a small rotation of the map. The ownship icon remained strictly pointing up.

Skydemon appears to implement a 'track nearly up' option instead - resulting in the track being often a few degrees either side of straight ahead - and also in the map only moving periodically to reflect movement along track. I assume this is a design feature to improve performance rather than redraw the map constantly on slower devices.

Is there a way to get a true 'track up' display? If not, I might request it in a future release...

I may, of course, just get used to it!
TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Succentor - 8/20/2019 10:52:22 AM
New user here... Both my previous handheld devices (Lowrance and Garmin) in track up mode did precisely that - even the smallest course correction resulted in a small rotation of the map. The ownship icon remained strictly pointing up.Skydemon appears to implement a 'track nearly up' option instead - resulting in the track being often a few degrees either side of straight ahead - and also in the map only moving periodically to reflect movement along track. I assume this is a design feature to improve performance rather than redraw the map constantly on slower devices.Is there a way to get a true 'track up' display? If not, I might request it in a future release...I may, of course, just get used to it!

I second this request, sometimes there is almost a 45 degree offset ...

DaveWhite
DaveWhite
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Choosing 'Course Up' keeps the screen aligned with your planned route, even if you are slightly off track due turbulence or whatever.  Does that help?
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I have used both "Track Up" and "Course Up" and both seem to work okay for me. Haven't noticed the issues reported by the OP.
My TAS is slow - 75Kt, so don't know whether that is a factor or not.
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
SkyDemon only redraws the map once you've changed by X degrees, for performance reasons. It's one of many things we do to make SkyDemon kinder to your battery than other apps. We have no plans to make X configurable; it's never as much as 45 degrees and is actually 15 degrees on modern phones and tablets.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search