Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon with FLARM via Stratux

Author
B
Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Stratux knowledgables...

I just received my Stratux unit from Crewdogelectronics for which I specified I needed the European version and with FLARM, meaning it should be pre-installed. 

I have connected the unit on the ground selecting GDL90 Compatible Device under Third-Party Devices (tapped "go flying"), but only seem to be able to see large airliners heading above and not sure I am getting any FLARM readouts. And even the airliners show intermittently for a few seconds only to disappear / reappear at irregular intervals. 

Also, is there a range beyond which you cannot see ADS-B/FLARM returns? 

Then there are a number of aircraft I can see on FlightRadar24, but are not showing up on Skydemon even though in Stratux I have selected to see all a/c up to 40,000ft.

Anything I am missing here? Many thanks for any enlightenment, especially re. FLARM.

Biggles66
B
Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)
Biggles66 - 7/8/2019 3:10:38 PM

I just received my Stratux unit from Crewdogelectronics for which I specified I needed the European version and with FLARM, meaning it should be pre-installed. 

I have connected the unit on the ground selecting GDL90 Compatible Device under Third-Party Devices (tapped "go flying"), but only seem to be able to see large airliners heading above and not sure I am getting any FLARM readouts. And even the airliners show intermittently for a few seconds only to disappear / reappear at irregular intervals. 

Then there are a number of aircraft I can see on FlightRadar24, but are not showing up on Skydemon even though in Stratux I have selected to see all a/c up to 40,000ft.

Anything I am missing here? Many thanks for any enlightenment, especially re. FLARM.

Maybe Tim?..
b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)
Biggles66 - 7/14/2019 9:01:38 AM

Maybe Tim?..

ADS-B Range of the Stratux is usually 50nm+ and you should see all ADS-B Traffic.
Flarm range usually around 3-20km, depending on the sender.
If you have a flarm-enabled version is easy to check. Connect to the Stratux Wifi and point your webbrowser to http://192.168.10.1 and check the settings if Flarm is enabled or can be enabled (note: in most cases you can not have 1090ES, UAT AND Flarm enabled. Disable UAT if you enable Flarm).
If you can't find any Flarm option, you might have a non-Flarm image installed. Install an image from here then: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/releases
(Note: The current Beta can also output Traffic via Flarm-NMEA instead of GDL90. SkyDemons NMEA implementation seems to be much more stable than GDL90, so you might want to use the latest beta, configure the Stratux IP to 192.168.1.1, which is required by SkyDemon, and then use that).
(Note 2: Flightradar also does mlat, which means that they approximate Mode-C/S target positions by triangulation from multiple base stations. So flighradar showing traffic that is not seen by stratux is fairly common. You can check it by clicking on an aircraft on flightradar24 and check the traffic source. If it says mlat, then Stratux will not display it.)

Biggles66
B
b3nn0 - 7/14/2019 1:32:22 PM
Biggles66 - 7/14/2019 9:01:38 AM

Maybe Tim?..

ADS-B Range of the Stratux is usually 50nm+ and you should see all ADS-B Traffic.
Flarm range usually around 3-20km, depending on the sender.
If you have a flarm-enabled version is easy to check. Connect to the Stratux Wifi and point your webbrowser to http://192.168.10.1 and check the settings if Flarm is enabled or can be enabled (note: in most cases you can not have 1090ES, UAT AND Flarm enabled. Disable UAT if you enable Flarm).
If you can't find any Flarm option, you might have a non-Flarm image installed. Install an image from here then: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/releases
(Note: The current Beta can also output Traffic via Flarm-NMEA instead of GDL90. SkyDemons NMEA implementation seems to be much more stable than GDL90, so you might want to use the latest beta, configure the Stratux IP to 192.168.1.1, which is required by SkyDemon, and then use that).
(Note 2: Flightradar also does mlat, which means that they approximate Mode-C/S target positions by triangulation from multiple base stations. So flighradar showing traffic that is not seen by stratux is fairly common. You can check it by clicking on an aircraft on flightradar24 and check the traffic source. If it says mlat, then Stratux will not display it.)

Thanks heaps b3nn0! I appreciate it.

Managed to flash card and eventually did get to see a FLARM enable/disable button. But none for UAT. When connecting to SkyDemon though, I still only get the option to select GDL90 or Location Services - no Flarm-NMEA - Am I missing something? Also, I am yet to see an actual FLARM target on Skydemon. 

And, is there anywhere I can check what all the settings should be set to for Skydemon? Is there anything one can do to avoid having to log in to Skydemon and reconnect to stratux every time I switch screens on my iPad?

Elsewhere I found you mention an 868 aerial, do you recommend replacing the 978 one? And would it go in the same spot on the device?

Thanks again for your help Smile

b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)
This is most likely what your settings should look like for SD:
(If you want to use the Flarm-NMEA protocol, the IP Address additionally needs to be 192.168.1.1, but that's optional. Get the rest working first).
Disable AHRS if you don't have one in your Stratux.
If you have an ADS-B out equipped airplane, enter your transponders HEX in the top right.

To get the Flarm-NMEA option in SkyDemon, you, of course, need to enable that in the Settings "FLARM via Air Connect". But as I said, that's optional.

Yes, I recommend using an 868Mhz antenna instead of the 978. Reception range will be better.

Biggles66
B
b3nn0 - 7/19/2019 3:47:58 PM
This is most likely what your settings should look like for SD:
(If you want to use the Flarm-NMEA protocol, the IP Address additionally needs to be 192.168.1.1, but that's optional. Get the rest working first).
Disable AHRS if you don't have one in your Stratux.
If you have an ADS-B out equipped airplane, enter your transponders HEX in the top right.

To get the Flarm-NMEA option in SkyDemon, you, of course, need to enable that in the Settings "FLARM via Air Connect". But as I said, that's optional.

Yes, I recommend using an 868Mhz antenna instead of the 978. Reception range will be better.

Cheers! Settings seem to be ok. I have already set the IP to 192.168.1.1 as otherwise the unit didnt seem to show any FLARM buttons or options. Apologies, obviously I am unclear what NMEA or Air Connect are exactly, only that you mention it is more stable. From what you state above, if I dont have an Air Connect module, should I just forget about it and continue with GDL90 connection? Although, I did now change the setting in Skydemon and selected connect via Air Connect (even though I dont have one) and it still seems to work the same way, this time with a large circle around my own position.

b3nn0
b
Then everything is perfect. You don't need an AirConnect. The Stratux implementation just pretends to be one. This is, IMO, the better option than GDL90, et least for SkyDemon, as SkyDemons GDL90 implementation seems to be a bit wonky from time to time.

Biggles66
B
b3nn0 - 7/19/2019 4:23:50 PM
Then everything is perfect. You don't need an AirConnect. The Stratux implementation just pretends to be one. This is, IMO, the better option than GDL90, et least for SkyDemon, as SkyDemons GDL90 implementation seems to be a bit wonky from time to time.

ok, got it... better go and try it out in the wild then, rather from my apartment...

thx again!

Alf
Alf
Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)
Hi b3nno,

I had several flights last weekend with Stratux Europe Edition 1.5b2-eu008 BETA, 868 antenna for FLARM, SD as software. I am really impressed, it works fantastic! Thank you for all your work on this!

BR,
Alf

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Contrary to what is written above, we would recommend using GDL90 as the best protocol when a device supports it.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search