SkyDemon Forums

Skydemon with FLARM via Stratux

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic28921.aspx

By Biggles66 - 7/8/2019 3:10:38 PM

Hello Stratux knowledgables...

I just received my Stratux unit from Crewdogelectronics for which I specified I needed the European version and with FLARM, meaning it should be pre-installed. 

I have connected the unit on the ground selecting GDL90 Compatible Device under Third-Party Devices (tapped "go flying"), but only seem to be able to see large airliners heading above and not sure I am getting any FLARM readouts. And even the airliners show intermittently for a few seconds only to disappear / reappear at irregular intervals. 

Also, is there a range beyond which you cannot see ADS-B/FLARM returns? 

Then there are a number of aircraft I can see on FlightRadar24, but are not showing up on Skydemon even though in Stratux I have selected to see all a/c up to 40,000ft.

Anything I am missing here? Many thanks for any enlightenment, especially re. FLARM.
By techie59 - 5/9/2020 1:48:27 PM

TouchTheSky - 5/9/2020 12:32:38 PM
techie59 - 5/9/2020 11:47:53 AM
TouchTheSky - 5/9/2020 10:18:33 AM
TouchTheSky - 4/29/2020 7:47:07 PM
techie59 - 4/28/2020 3:35:24 PM
b3nn0 - 7/19/2019 3:47:58 PM
This is most likely what your settings should look like for SD:
(If you want to use the Flarm-NMEA protocol, the IP Address additionally needs to be 192.168.1.1, but that's optional. Get the rest working first).
Disable AHRS if you don't have one in your Stratux.
If you have an ADS-B out equipped airplane, enter your transponders HEX in the top right.

To get the Flarm-NMEA option in SkyDemon, you, of course, need to enable that in the Settings "FLARM via Air Connect". But as I said, that's optional.

Yes, I recommend using an 868Mhz antenna instead of the 978. Reception range will be better.

First, thanks a lot for all this wonederful work.

I have updated the ROM with this EU version. Do I need to update the IP Address even though I will use it with the GDL90 protocol in SKydemon? Even though it is in that mode, will it gather the FLARM information?

Why changing the IP address makes a difference (for my understanding)?

REgards,

Etienne (who can't wait to fly again)

Etienne, It is my understanding that you don't need to change the default IP address (192.168.10.1) if you plan to continue using GDL90 with SkyDemon - it will continue displaying FLARM targets. Changing the IP to 192.168.1.1 simply indicates to SkyDemon that the FLARM NMEA protocol is used instead.

Etienne, just a minor clarification to my reply above, the options are:
  • 192.168.10.1: only GDL90 can be selected and used in SkyDemon
  • 192.168.1.1: both GDL90 and FLARM-NMEA can be selected and used in SkyDemon
GDL90 is labeled under Third-Party Devices as "GDL90 Compatible Device"
FLARM-NMEA is labeled under Third-Party Devices as "FLARM with Air Connect", the "Air Connect Key" can be ignored for Stratux Europe

Thanks for the clarification but it now raises a small doubt.I understand the difference between the 2 IP address but which one should be used to have both the ADB-S in and the FLARM at the same time?

Thanks,

Both GDL90 and FLARM-NMEA are protocols that carry both types of traffic (ADS-B and FLARM) at the same time. Therefore you will always receive all traffic no matter which one of the two IPs you select. The IP selection only has a consequence on which protocol you are able to use in SkyDemon. GDL90 seems to be the more sophisticated one but FLARM-NMEA has also some benefits (e.g. how bearingless targets are displayed).

OK great now I get it. :-)