Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

In-Flight PilotAware Issues

Author
dave_kent
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've just set up a new PAW device, and have the following questions:
  1. When connected to the PAW device, SD complains it cannot download weather etc.  However I have got "Live Date When Planning" ticked, and i'm in navigation mode, so I don't understand why I get that message.

2. On final approach into Andrewsfield last weekend (for example), the number of audio alerts for traffic on the ground was quite ridiculous and very distracting. Is there a way to filter out traffic on the ground, or even remove all traffic alerts when on final approach?

Thanks
Dave

Tags
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
dave_kent - 7/3/2019 12:34:58 PM
  1. When connected to the PAW device, SD complains it cannot download weather etc.  However I have got "Live Date When Planning" ticked, and i'm in navigation mode, so I don't understand why I get that message.

2. On final approach into Andrewsfield last weekend (for example), the number of audio alerts for traffic on the ground was quite ridiculous and very distracting. Is there a way to filter out traffic on the ground, or even remove all traffic alerts when on final approach?

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave

ad 1) For live weather you need to access the Internet in-flight via the GSM Data SIM in your (cellular) iPad. Because the (only 1 available) WiFi connection is already used up by PAW; and PAW only supplies GPS location to the iPad/iPhone, but not Internet. 

If you have a WiFi-only iPad (and you were used to get Internet to the iPad via an external modem, connected to the iPad via WiFi), this won't work anymore, as the iPad cannot connect to two WiFi links at the same time.

ad 2) You, you can tab on the Traffic Radar window, and select "mute all traffic". I think this silences all verbal traffic alerts (while still showing them on the Traffic Radar) until next take-off.

dave_kent
dave_kent
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
TimT - 7/4/2019 10:19:56 AM
dave_kent - 7/3/2019 12:34:58 PM

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave

ad 1) For live weather you need to access the Internet in-flight via the GSM Data SIM in your (cellular) iPad. Because the (only 1 available) WiFi connection is already used up by PAW; and PAW only supplies GPS location to the iPad/iPhone, but not Internet. 

If you have a WiFi-only iPad (and you were used to get Internet to the iPad via an external modem, connected to the iPad via WiFi), this won't work anymore, as the iPad cannot connect to two WiFi links at the same time.

ad 2) You, you can tab on the Traffic Radar window, and select "mute all traffic". I think this silences all verbal traffic alerts (while still showing them on the Traffic Radar) until next take-off.

Hi Tim,

#1 - The problem I am having is that SD is trying to get the weather during flight, even though I've switched that option off.

#2 - thanks for that tip - i will try it tonight

Dave

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Is it actually trying to get the weather in flight? Or is it just when you've selected Go Flying but you're on the ground?
dave_kent
dave_kent
Tim Dawson - 7/5/2019 11:11:20 AM
Is it actually trying to get the weather in flight? Or is it just when you've selected Go Flying but you're on the ground?

The latter Tim - I often get errors prior to hitting "Go Flying", but I expect that as I'm connected to PAW, but not navigating.  But I've been getting the errors whilst taxying, well after selecting "Go Flying".  

dave_kent
dave_kent
dave_kent - 7/5/2019 12:36:15 PM
Tim Dawson - 7/5/2019 11:11:20 AM

The latter Tim - I often get errors prior to hitting "Go Flying", but I expect that as I'm connected to PAW, but not navigating.  But I've been getting the errors whilst taxying, well after selecting "Go Flying".  

It happened again today Tim - only on the ground, but several times whilst taxying at both prior to takeoff and after landing.

D

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Indeed. You've told SkyDemon to use an internet connection but not while flying, and you aren't flying. You're taxiing. Unfortunately the wifi hotspot you're connected to is suggesting to your device that it may offer an internet connection, your device is telling SkyDemon that, and therefore SkyDemon is attempting to use it.

Because this keeps happening, we are changing the behaviour in 3.12.8 and future versions, so that SkyDemon will not attempt to use the internet in such a situation.

dave_kent
dave_kent
TimT - 7/4/2019 10:19:56 AM

Tapping on my Android tablet does not bring up any options to "mute all traffic" - is this an iOS feature only?

Thanks, Dave

SimonD
S
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

You can use Bluetooth tethering for the internet connection (to an Android phone for example).

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Dave, you have to tap on the traffic radar instrument.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search