SkyDemon Forums

In-Flight PilotAware Issues

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic28886.aspx

By dave_kent - 9/16/2020 1:18:53 PM

Wow that was a blast from the past!

I've not tried the bluetooth tethering as my tablet has a sim card.  I also note that the latest version of Android allows you to override specific apps to avoid wifi, but as Skydemon is one app and needs to talk to both PAW and the Internet, I don't think either will help.

Tim, thanks, this was from before you fixed the problem in the Android app. 
By TimT - 9/16/2020 3:23:34 PM

[quote]
dave_kent - 9/16/2020 1:18:53 PM
I've not tried the bluetooth tethering as my tablet has a sim card.  ... but as Skydemon is one app and needs to talk to both PAW and the Internet, I don't think either will help.

Yes, it will. Your cellular tablet computer will connect to the Internet via your SIM card. And to PAW via Wi-Fi. I am using it that way since over a year.
By Alan999 - 9/16/2020 8:17:43 PM

Tim Dawson - 9/16/2020 9:55:18 AM
Dave, you have to tap on the traffic radar instrument.

I've found a way around this for my Android 9 tablet so that I could connect to PilotAware, and get live data for weather, etc in Skydemon at the same time. My process was to go to: Settings > Connections > Data usage > Mobile data only apps. I turned this on and and tapped to select Skydemon from a list of apps that came up, then Skydemon appeared to be forced to use mobile data even when the wifi was connected to PilotAware. It worked on my Samsung J5 phone as well (Android 9).
Hope this helps
By dave_kent - 7/3/2019 12:34:58 PM

I've just set up a new PAW device, and have the following questions:
  1. When connected to the PAW device, SD complains it cannot download weather etc.  However I have got "Live Date When Planning" ticked, and i'm in navigation mode, so I don't understand why I get that message.

2. On final approach into Andrewsfield last weekend (for example), the number of audio alerts for traffic on the ground was quite ridiculous and very distracting. Is there a way to filter out traffic on the ground, or even remove all traffic alerts when on final approach?

Thanks
Dave