Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SD Tries to Download VFR Chart during navigation - expected behaviour ?

SD Tries to Download VFR Chart during navigation - expected behaviour...
Author
Easy Cruising
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
SD v 3.12.0.20273 , Android

'Internet Usage' on my SD is set to 'Live Data when Planning'.

After hitting 'Go Flying', I hit the 'Airfields' tab. The list of Visual Approach Charts etc appears. Some Visual Approach Charts are in green, other in Orange. If it then tap an 'Orange' one (which is a German airfield, part of the paid-for subscription for German DFS charts). SD shows the download bar but cannot download the chart, presumably because there is no active internet connection .. so I cannot get the chart at all.

Question : shouldn't SD show me the version of the 'orange' chart that it has rather than try a download ? If I am flying/navigating its already too late for a download, and anyway I set 'Live Data when Planning'. I'd rather get the previous version of the chart than none at all. Even though the WiFi may be connected to some network, I don't want it to download when I am flying because the connection usually doesn't work reliably at altitude.

I may have misunderstood what the SD options mean, What's the expected behaviour of SD here, and how to ensure I can always get the chart if it was once downloaded ? I don't remember it doing this previously.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Are you actually flying, or have you just hit "Go Flying"?

Simply hitting Go Flying won't stop SkyDemon using an internet connection if your device tells us one if available, while you're still on the ground. Many people use the internet while in navigation mode but still on the ground, to file a last-minute flightplan or get the latest weather.

Easy Cruising
Easy Cruising
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Interesting. Yes, actually I was not in the air but on the ground, engine running, just wanted a quick look on the chart  Normally I don't operate like that but I just finished some circuits and was about to start another flight.

I didn't know that SD distinguishes between being on ground and in-air after hitting 'Go Flying' in this way.

However, i am still not clear what to do in that situation. How could I have seen the chart? (i.e. what to do in SD to allow me to see the 'orange' chart when I don't have in internet connection and I am on the ground) ? If I hit 'Stop Navigating' won't I be in Planning mode and SD will try to download anyway?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Your tablet told SkyDemon that there was an internet connection available, so we tried to us it, to download the latest chart. So that's a bit of an anomaly really, and shouldn't happen often. Perhaps there was an internet connection available but it failed as we tried to use it. You can always adjust the internet connectivity to force offline mode, whereupon SkyDemon will happily show you the orange, out-of-date chart without attempting to update it first.
Easy Cruising
Easy Cruising
Ok, thankyou. Definitely not major but actually I think the options in SD are a bit messy in this area, which has also bothered me on one or two previous occasions. Why ? :

1. In the menu one selects 'Internet Usage'...
2. Then you can choose 'Offline Mode', 'Live Data when Planning' or 'Live Data when Planning and Flying'
3. Choose 'Live Data when Planning' (so not when flying).
4. Hit 'Go Flying'.
5. Now it still tries to download things, but since I had hit 'Go Flying' I thought I was in flying mode.. I'm certainly not Planning any more am I ?
6. There seems to be an intermediate state where one is neither Planning nor Flying, but which is not controllable through the options.
7. It's also not really clear to me whether chart downloads constitute 'live data' or not ? Shouldn't this be called 'Internet Data' rather than 'Live Data' ?
8. Further it's unclear why to start flying I hit 'Go Flying' , but to stop it I hit 'Stop Navigating', so why wasn't the start command called 'Start Navigating' ? .. if this was the case I'd never have expected the internet options to be somehow directly connected to the 'Go Flying' button in the first place?

One can get by with the current options but I'd say the live data stuff has a feeling of inconsistency.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
We're quite happy with it, thanks, but will take your comments under advisement. The thing you missed was that you weren't actually flying, but you expected SkyDemon to stop using an internet connection if one was available just because you hit Go Flying.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search