Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Changing position source mid flight

Author
L
Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My new share-o-plane has a PilotAware fitted on a cigarette lighter adaptor.
Saves messing with a usb battery like my previous rental setup, but being switched on with the avionics master means that it isn’t ready for use for a couple of minutes after startup.
I’ve got quite used to the engine start and off blocks logging, but this requires starting the flight before the engine is started.
Is there any way to start a flight using my iPad’s location services and then switch to the PilotAware once that has booted?
It should have finished booting by the time runup checks are completed...
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Thanks for pointing to that, I wasn‘t really paying attention to it. I‘d like to extend the request to automatic fallback to the internal GPS when the external device does no longer answer after a certain time (as the competion already does btw).
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It's an interesting suggestion, but pretty niche. Imagining the potential user interface for this is not pleasant. We'll see what others on here think.
Lerk
L
Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)Too Much Forum (100 reputation)
Maybe if we could start logging on the Pilotaware prior to the GPS being active, then at least we can start the engine log even if we have no position assuming that it will come live within a minute or two?
I can definitely agree with Markus on the automatically switching to a backup source if available rather than booting the flight to restart.

Edited 3/19/2019 1:49:20 PM by Lerk
Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Lerk - 3/19/2019 1:42:05 PM
Maybe if we could start logging on the Pilotaware prior to the GPS being active, then at least we can start the engine log even if we have no position assuming that it will come live within a minute or two?
I can definitely agree with Markus on the automatically switching to a backup source if available rather than booting the flight to restart.

There was an earlier thread that debated the nuances of SD and PAW. The ideal answer would appear to be that the option to log engine start be presented before flight start. Unfortunately, SD said this not possible as the logging is embedded within the 'flight' code.

b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)
MarkusM - 3/19/2019 8:39:17 AM
Thanks for pointing to that, I wasn‘t really paying attention to it. I‘d like to extend the request to automatic fallback to the internal GPS when the external device does no longer answer after a certain time (as the competion already does btw).

I think this would be an awesome solution. This would also implicitly add a new feature: support for external traffic devices that do not have a GPS. So that Skydemon would only use the traffic information from the external device and rely on the internal GPS for positioning.

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
My PilotAware often drop the gps and therefore I have dropped using PAW. If SD could be set to use the internal gps as a choise I could still use PAW without loosing gps connection, since Ipad keeps the connection very well.

Are there any disadvantages doing that?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
A traffic source without a GPS may not accurately be able to determine for us the difference between pressure altitude and GPS altitude. I suppose we could use an internal GPS if one was available for doing that, but are there really traffic receivers without built-in GPS being marketed?
Lerk
L
I think what B3nn0 is suggesting is using the internal GPS for position data for Navigation and then using the PAW to provide only traffic data (based on it's own GPS source, but not passing that for use in navigation).
I know nothing of the structure of the comms between PAW and SD, to know whether that is even possible!

It wouldn't be much use for those who only have Wifi iPads, but cellular models and Android users would be able to turn the PAW into a pure traffic information module.  

There may be an issue if the PAW GPS dropped mid flight, given there would no longer be an error message displayed, again not knowing the inner workings of the PAW I don't know whether it would still generate traffic data based on a failed GPS location or simply stop working.

b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)Too Much Forum (210 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/20/2019 10:51:58 AM
A traffic source without a GPS may not accurately be able to determine for us the difference between pressure altitude and GPS altitude. I suppose we could use an internal GPS if one was available for doing that, but are there really traffic receivers without built-in GPS being marketed?

Hmm well, you are right, maybe that stretch is a little too far. For Stratux you have the choice if you build one with or without GPS, but then again, the difference isn't rellay that big.
On the other hand, as others have described with PilotAware, I also have problems with frequent short GPS errors. A Flight log typically looks like this for me:
Notice all the short sections with red dots where GPS drops out. Would be really handy if Skydemon just switched over to the Internal GPS in the meantime (And I should probably pruchase a new, better GPS...).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search